Re : Setting up a development server with Agile Platform 6 on Amazon EC2

Re : Setting up a development server with Agile Platform 6 on Amazon EC2

Hi all,

I'm trying to setup a development server with the Agile Platform 6.0. I'm using the standard Windows 64-bit AMI

I've followed the checklist and after I finished installing the Platform Server I can't connect to the database when creating the users and granting permissions.
I can grant permissions, but when I test the connection I always get "Failed to connect to database: Login failed for user OS_ADMIN".

I've checked on Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio that the database is created, which it is, and that the users are created, which they are. I'm stuck in the installation process and can't proceed.

Any lights on this?

Thank you
Hi João,

If the users are created, then SQL server is configured to only accept Windows Authentication logins.
(It is on the checklist install procedures for SQL Server if the Role combo-box has an option selected that includes "Database")

Do this to fix:
  • Connect with Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
  • Right click the server
  • Click "Properties"
  • On the Security tab choose "SQL Server and Windows Authentication mode"
Also, when doing this make sure the "sa" user is disabled or change his password.

Regards,
João Rosado
 Hi João, 

That worked great! 

But now after creating the DB Schema and Session I get the following error in trying to save and exit. Do you know what this is?

Thanks

Hi João,

Copy pasting from the checklist:

Make sure that you have installed the role Web Server (IIS). If you don't, install it by doing the following:
  1. In the right pane, click Add Roles
  2. Choose Web Server (IIS)
  3. In Role Services, make sure to select:
    • Under Web Server:
      • Under Application Development:
        • Choose ASP.NET
      • Under Security:
        • Choose Windows Authentication
      • Under Performance:
        • Choose Static Content Compression
        • Choose Dynamic Content Compression
      • Under Management Tools:
        • Choose IIS Management Console
        • Under IIS 6 Management Compatibility:
          • Choose IIS 6 Metabase Compatibility
    • Make sure to accept all dependencies of the items mentioned above. For all the items not mentioned above, leave the default value.

You are missing at least the "IIS 6 Metabase Compatibility".

Regards,
João rosado
Hi João, 

I have all of those installed for the Web Server role. Any other ideas?

Thanks for the help.
Hi joão,

Well ...
There are some steps that require you to edit the applicationhost.config ...maybe you caused a parsing error on the xml.
(Or edited it with an editor that messed up the encoding of the file)

Try to access on http://localhost/
It should at least show the default IIS page.

Regards,
João Rosado
Hi again,

Does anyone have a clue about this issue when installing the Service Center?

PS C:\Program Files\OutSystems\Platform Server> .\SCInstall.bat
Service Center Installer v6.0.1.22

Start installing Service Center v6.0.1.22...

Publishing Extension(s)...
Publishing Extension 'OMLProcessor'...
Publishing Extension 'IntegrationStudio'...
Reading ServiceCenter.oml oml file information...
Adding ServiceCenter eSpace to database...
Compiling ServiceCenter eSpace...
Message 1
  [Error] Internal Error
Invalid compiler output.\r\nSystem.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to co
mpletion of the operation or the server is not responding.
   at OutSystems.HubEdition.RuntimePlatform.DBHelper.#B6(DbException e, IDbTransaction trans)
   at OutSystems.HubEdition.RuntimePlatform.DBHelper.ExecuteReader(IDbCommand cmd, String description, Boolean isApplica
tion, Boolean transformParameters, Boolean skipLog)
   at OutSystems.HubEdition.RuntimePlatform.DBHelper.ExecuteReader(IDbCommand cmd)
   at OutSystems.HubEdition.Compiler.Database.DBCompiler.GetDbSchemaFieldDataSqlServer_MainColumnData(IDbTransaction tra
n, String tableName, String catalogName)
   at #35b.#6Mc.#0Kc(String tableName, IList`1& fieldDefs, IList`1& indexes)
   at #35b.#yLc.#1Kc(IEnumerable`1 tableNames, Dictionary`2& fieldDefsForTable, Dictionary`2& indexesForTable)
   at OutSystems.HubEdition.Compiler.Database.EntitySchema.EntitySchemaUpdater.#FAb(TextWriter writer, String& sqlStatFK
sScript)
   at OutSystems.HubEdition.Compiler.Database.EntitySchema.EntitySchemaUpdater.Dump()
   at OutSystems.HubEdition.Compiler.ESpace.UpdateScript()
   at OutSystems.HubEdition.Compiler.ESpace.UpdateScriptThread()

PS C:\Program Files\OutSystems\Platform Server> .\SCInstall.bat
Service Center Installer v6.0.1.22

Start installing Service Center v6.0.1.22...

Publishing Extension(s)...
Publishing Extension 'OMLProcessor'...
Publishing Extension 'IntegrationStudio'...
Reading ServiceCenter.oml oml file information...
Adding ServiceCenter eSpace to database...
Compiling ServiceCenter eSpace...
Message 1
  [Error] Compilation Error
A timeout has occured. OutSystems compiler appears to be blocked.
Hi João,

I have one installed in the most basic AMI possible:
Windows_Server-2008-SP2-English-64Bit-Base-2012.10.10 (ami-32b9065b)

I used the full 6.0 platform setup (Outsystems suite + SQL 2005 Express) and it gave several times error, the dreaded 106 which can basically mean 1000 things. Each time I rebooted the machine and ran setup again... in the end it installed everything and is working fine, slow, but fine. (using free tier I can't ask for more really :) )

Hope you can solve your issue (probably using a different AMI),
Hermínio Mira
Hi, don´t know if this is going to help but I will ask anyway. How much memory is being allocated to your EC Windows 2008 Server VM?  You need at least 2Gigabytes
I had similar problems when I tried to setup a community version on the Portugal Telecom SmartCloud. Everything was solved we I upgraded from a standard Windows 2008 Server with 1Gbyte RAM to a VM with 2Gbyte RAM.

Carlos Aguiar
Thank you for your replies.

We are trying to setup a free tier Amazon EC2 development server so the AMI is a micro instance, meaning 614MB of RAM...I do get the warnings when installing the platform that we need at least 1GB of RAM, but I thought that we could at least run the server, maybe only the performance would be penalized, but seeing as it's intended to be just a development server it would not be very critical at this point.

If this is not a possibility we'll have to think of an alternative for a development server.

Thanks!
With 1GByte you will constantly be running into trouble, take it from me. My experience is that with a 2GByte server, Setup is just next, next, next and Voilà, it´s installed and running.
Again, I'm running it on a 614MB machine, free tier without issues for the last 20 days!
Publishing is a real pain (6-7mins) but thats the price of "free"...
Hermínio Mira wrote:
Again, I'm running it on a 614MB machine, free tier without issues for the last 20 days!

Hi Hermínio, 

check this post to see if you can increase the performance of your environment. Hope it help.

Cheers
Hermínio Mira wrote:

That's actually very nice!
If you're running on the free tier it means you're using a micro instance. Unlike the other instance types, the micro instance doesn't have assured CPU throughput. You can read it on the instance types page: all instances have their CPU capacity described in ECUs, while the micro instance has "up to 2 ECUs (for short periodic bursts)". It also means that if other guest VMs are running in the same host hardware, you'll get the capacity that's left from the others.

All in all this makes the compilation stages suffer in their times, but that's really due to the limits of the micro instance. You'd notice the same penalties on any software over any OS.