CSS files dissapearing through a load balancer

CSS files dissapearing through a load balancer

Hey all,

I've got a bit of an interesting problem.  We've got a product that, when we try to access normally, appears exactly as we want it to.  However, we want to be able to run our service through a load balancer first, and this is where things get interesting.  All of the CSS files except for the base theme vanish, including Black.css, Wave.css, and a few other style sheets.  This, as you can imagine, creates a number of problems when accessing the site.   How do I ensure that the various css files are included when I route through a load balancer?

-Eric
Hi Eric,

I can't help you without knowing what kind of configuration are you using for the load balancing. There should be no difference between the base theme stylesheets and the rest. Some things you may want to check are:
  • Is your load balancer transforming the URLs in any way?
  • What does the browser tell you when you access the supposed URLs of the CSS files? Is it a 404 error?
  • What about if you try to access the CSS files without specifying the cache invalidation suffix? (at the end of the URL, something like "?number")
  • Can you check if the files are being deployed to the frontends that lie behind the load balancer?
Let's see if by answering these questions you can get to the root of the problem.

Cheers,
Miguel
Hey Miguel-

Thanks for your fast response!  As it turns out, we managed to resolve this issue late yesterday while working with Outsystems support.  The main issue was that our hosting provider was redirecting to our directory for not only the IP of the load balancer but also for the references of the subdirectories as well.  This redirect caused the RichWidgets library at http://[primary_ip]/RichWidgets/ to redirect to http://[primary_ip]/AppName/, causing all of the scripting and formatting in the RichWidgets directory to be unavailable.

We implemented a solution with our hosting provider yesterday so that only a reference without a specified subdirectory will be redirected, and using this has allowed us to ensure that the RichWidgets library is not redirected, thus solving the issue.

Thanks for the support,

-Eric
Hi Eric,

Thanks for circling back on what was wrong with your setup. That way, any people that may incur in the same misconfiguration will learn from your investigation. :)

Cheers,

Miguel