PDF convertion to PDF/a format

PDF convertion to PDF/a format

Hello to all,

I'm sending this post because I have a new challenge in one of my projects which is convert programmatically(C#) a PDF file that exists in a certain folder, to PDF/A format (at least PDFA1B), with an open source solution. This is a document file format for long-term preservation (http://www.aiim.org/documents/standards/19005-1_FAQ.PDF).
This process is VERY complex, which is why only a small number of products on the market offer it as a feature. However, I want to believe that someone already solved this issue.
I've made some tries, with for example iTextSharp but with almost no success...
Can anyone give me a solution/method to do what I need using opensource tools? Pick a PDF file from the database and convert it to PDF/A without loosing the original PDF content?
Thank you in advance...

Best Regards,
Gonçalo M.
Hi Goncalo,

I also will need some kind of solution similar to the one you are asking for..
I'm trying the new version of iText but with no success..If someone could help and share some solutions, it would be very nice..

Regards
Hello Nuno,

First of all welcome to our community..
This is really  a complex task ..If somebody could indicate a solution by code or even an open source software that can be runned in the windows command prompt (console application) it would be very important and this second case is a tool to think about in this critical and complex requirement that I'll have to face..

Best Regards,
Gonçalo M.

pdf to word :) search in google
Charles Rayment wrote:
pdf to word :) search in google

I already searched it (a lot) but could't find nothing to programmatically convert PDF to PDF/A.
The post you posted is not related to the conversion between the two formats, instead of them, you presented a PDF to Word document conversion..
I need something just like (but opensource): http://www.pdf-tools.com/pdf/

Best Regards,
Gonçalo M.
Hi Gonçalo, I used all my Google foo, but I've come up empty as well. There aren't many good open source PDF libraries to start with, and none seems being able to convert to PDF/A without problems. So I guess you're stuck with purchasing a commercial product (e.g. Aspose.PDF), which, given the time and money it'll cost for you to keep searching for an Open Source solution, may be even better cost-wise (now try to convince your employer :)).
Kilian Hekhuis wrote:
Hi Gonçalo, I used all my Google foo, but I've come up empty as well. There aren't many good open source PDF libraries to start with, ...(now try to convince your employer :)).

Hi Kilian,

You're right about the few number of PDF libraries and none are able to do this kind of operation, yet..
I posted this post because I tought that someone in our community could already been faced with this tek poblem..
About your sentence "now try to convince your employer"..  Well..As you can imagine, it's not an easy task because here in Portugal we're having hard economic problems and facing a tight control of this kind of costs..
But well, it's just another challenge to our professional experience.
Hope someone find a new manner or tool to do this until the end of 2012, and could share it with me :-)

Kind Regards,
Gonçalo Martins
Gonçalo Martins wrote:

About your sentence "now try to convince your employer"..  Well..As you can imagine, it's not an easy task because here in Portugal we're having hard economic problems and facing a tight control of this kind of costs..

Well, the Agile Platform isn't cheap to begin with, and if the business need is strong an additional EUR 700 could be an option.