OutSystems Platform Community Edition installation in Windows 8

OutSystems Platform Community Edition installation in Windows 8

Hi everyone,

As we all know the OutSystems Platform Community Edition is not certified yet in Windows 8. 
However, I have recently tried to install the Community Edition in a freshly installed Windows 8 machine and was able to finish the installation process after dealing with some issues. Basically, I had to enable some of the required Windows features manually.

If you find yourself trying to install and it fails, take a look at these steps as I believe they will solve most common cases in Windows 8 after getting errors during the installation:

1. Open the Control Panel, by opening the Start Menu and writing “control panel”. Click in the “Control Panel” icon that is presented.
  2. In the Control Panel open “Programs” and in the next screen select “Turn Windows features on or off”, under “Programs and Features”.
  3. You will be presented with a tree menu with lots of options to select. Select the following ones, if not already selected:
    1. Check "Internet Information Services -> Web Management Tools -> IIS Management Service"
    2. Check "Internet Information Services -> World Wide Web Services -> Application Development Features -> .Net Extensibility 3.5
    3. Check "Internet Information Services -> World Wide Web Services -> Application Development Features ->  ASP.Net 3.5
    4. Check "Microsoft Message Queue (MSMQ) Server -> Microsoft Message Queue (MSMQ) Server Core -> MSMQ HTTP Support
    5. Check "Microsoft Message Queue (MSMQ) Server -> Microsoft Message Queue (MSMQ) Server Core -> MSMQ Triggers
  4. Press “Ok” and restart your machine when possible, just to make sure everything is correctly installed.
  5. Open Internet Information Services Manager, by opening the Start Menu and writing “internet information services”. Click in the “Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager” icon that is presented.
  6. In the “Connections” pane on the left of IIS Manager, expand your local machine and then expand “Sites” and “Default Web Site” underneath.
  7. You should see a series of applications under “Default Web Site”:
    1. Delete the “Service Center” one by right-clicking on it and selecting “Remove”.
    2. Do the same for the “CustomHandlers”, “SMSHandler” and “Dispatcher” ones. (we are deleting these because they must be recreated with correct configurations by the Agile Platform installer).
  8. Finally, run the OutSystems Agile Platform Community Edition installer again.

I hope this helps. 

Nevertheless, take note that currently the OutSystems Platform Community Edition is not supported in Windows 8so even you manage to install it there can be some unpredictable behaviors while running it.

Cheers!

Good night João Proença!

I did the above walkthrough, but I had no success.
Do you have any other tips?

Thank you!
Under item 3, make sure that IIS Management is checked.  If not, check it, or your search at 5 will come up empty.

Having followed the above prescription, install completed without a hitch.  Yet to see if I can provoke any abnormal/unpredictable behaviors.
Hi Joao, Thank you very much for this post. It has certainly helped me to install Service Studio 8 on my new Windows 8 laptop. I followed the steps exactly and it is working like a charm. (I installed Service Studio 8.0.0.5)
I had the same problem. This post is very useful for those who have Windows 8.

Is there a scheduled date to a platform release, that includes full Windows 8 support?
Hi Joao, Thank you very much for this post.
After installing give's me an alert telling that the System Components is not installed. :\
How can i solve this?

Best regards

--------------

Problem solved. The .Net Extensibility 4.5 and ASP . Net 3.5 were checked. I unchecked and installed again and now is good.

Hello All,
I am still having trouble installing.
I get to step 7, and the files to delete are not shown.
Any ideas?

Thank you

Hello all,

I have windows 8 Pro 64bits.
And It's helped me a lot and I successfully installed

Thanks João

Thanks for the tips! my installation is finished succesfully (v8.0.0.15) on my Windows 8 Pro box.

Kind regards,
Matthias
João, after I have deleted the applications under “Default Web Site” and reinstalled the Agile Platform 8, these applications have not been recreated and now when I try to access http://localhost/ServiceCenter/ is showing the following message:

Not Found - HTTP Error 404.0
The resource you are looking for has been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

What I'm doing wrong?

Hi André,

Open the Configuration Tool (C:\Program Files\OutSystems\Platform Server\ConfigurationTool.exe) and click "Apply and Exit", after a bit you should get a popup asking "Do you want to run Service Center installation?".
Go ahead with the installation and it should solve your problem.

Cheers,
Davide
Has anyone successfully installed "Outsystems Platform" v9 on windows 8.1?

Configured the platform via configuration tool, then clicked on save and exit button.

With firewall is off, I recieved the following error message.

------------------------------------------------
Service Center Installer v9.0.0.28

Start installing Service Center v9.0.0.28...
This operation may take a few minutes to complete...

Publishing Extension(s)...
Publishing Extension 'OMLProcessor'...
Publishing Extension 'IntegrationStudio'...
Reading ServiceCenter.oml oml file information...
Adding ServiceCenter eSpace to database...
Compiling ServiceCenter eSpace...
Preparing ServiceCenter eSpace deployment...
Deploying ServiceCenter eSpace...
Creating ServiceCenter default tenant...
Message 1
  [Error] Error message from node robertchanp1094 (127.0.0.1): Deployment failed
Deployment failed. Could not invoke ping. Exception: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
   at #GLe.#3Le.#dMe.#6Le(String espaceName, String ptaOrTenantName)

Message 2
  [Error] Error message from node robertchanp1094 (127.0.0.1): Deployment failed
Deployment failed. Could not invoke ping. Exception: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
   at #GLe.#3Le.#dMe.#6Le(String espaceName, String ptaOrTenantName)

Hi Robert,

Did you get it installed?
You could also check the service center using your browser, it usually gives some error details.

Regards,
João Rosado