[Mandrill] Using Email block with Mandrill Integration

[Mandrill] Using Email block with Mandrill Integration

Forge Component
(0)
Published on 2013-10-02 by Justin James
0 votes
Published on 2013-10-02 by Justin James
Hi Justin,

Currently, there are 2 ways to insert data into the email body with the Mandrill integration - Text and HTML.

Is it possible to modify the integration to allow for an OS Email screen to be sent also?

The integration is perfect for quick and simple email communications. Not so easy for sending complicated email blocks with extensive logic and images..

Thanks.

-Robbie N.
Robbie -

If that's your intention (to send OS Emails through the system), then you shouldn't use the Integration for it. Instead, set your Platform Server to use your Mandrill account for the SMTP server.

J.Ja
Hi Justin,

There is a known issue with sending emails in OS using Mandrill for the SMTP server.

Images widgets are not diplayed properly, and the emails do not work with dataurls (using binary expressions)
http://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/10850/error-creating-email-unable-to-fetch/ 

I think your Cloudinary integration might be the possible solution here.

Have you implemented the Cloudinary extension in any production apps?
I'd imagine there would be some great benefits with saving database storage space...

-Robbie

Robbie -

We've been using the Cloudinary extension for about a month in a Production environment with around 60,000 original images. It has been FANTASTIC for getting our DB down to a managable size, which has cut our backup windows (as well as restore windows, if it is ever needed), and sped our image-heavy pages up quite a bit. We've also been able to eliminate a number of other Extensions which we felt were possible problem points that were being used for image manipulation.

In terms of having the Mandril application take an OS Email as an input, I don't think that can be done at a technical level, and if it could be done, I suspect that it would be a ton of work. :(

J.Ja
Thanks for the input JJ.

Is it possible to turn the logic GetURI into a function?
Can this be done in integration studio?

It would be a very handy function to have when inserting images for record lists and email notifications.

Robbie -

That's been done now, not sure if you saw it or not.

J.Ja
Thanks JJ.

Pleasure as always.
Hi guys is possible to get mime content or html content from email screen to pass to maildrill? I need this too, because I need use api so I will get others benefits like know the message was delivery or read or clicked and etc. Using smpt I don't have this with maildrill. But loose the power of platform to make my emails is so bad too. Thanks any help.
Alexandre -

There is no good/easy way to do that. Your best bet would be to make a screen for it, then call the screen with one of the Actions from HTTPRequestHandler, and use the contents in your email.

J.Ja
Ok Justin if this work is a good idea. Thanks.