How to reset windows to another default version of Service Studio

How to reset windows to another default version of Service Studio

After installing an update of a version of ServiceStudio, windows sets it as it's default.
Because all the versions are called "ServiceStudio.exe" it is not possible to reset to another version.
To give a simple scenario ... install v8-so this one is the default ... install upgrade for v6, now this one is the default for windows ... and I want to reset to the v8 version ...
Every update counts as a new instalation so the registry entry is corrected as if that v6 was newer that your previous v8.

Maybe there is a prettier path, but I only know how to do it in the Registry.

1. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT makes the match between extension and filetype, and filetype to program.

2. .oml is classified as a ServiceStudio Document.

3. ServiceStudio Documents are opened by a program called by command C:\Program Files\OutSystems\Service Studio 6.0\ServiceStudio.exe "%L" or similar

4. Just adjust that to the version you want and you are ready to go. No need to restart.

A simpler alternative, I find, is to simply reinstall SS version 8 and it will become the new default :)
Thanks guys ... !
Well, an easier way is to right-click the OML file, select Open with... from the menu then press Browse... to look for the version you want. It should be somewhere in %programfiles(x86)%\outsystems.

Then make sure the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file is checked (it should be, by default) before pressing OK.
Hi Carlos,

In these cases it would be great to have a list of the SS versions installed in the Open with context menu...
Do you know how to do it?
It would be nicer than have to browse to the SS exe file...

Cheers
JA
IIRC, if you don't check the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file checkbox, the next time you right-click a OML file, the program you chose appears in the Open with sub-menu.

The thing is, pretty much all the versions of Service Studio use the same icon and have the same name, so you won't know which is which, and that kind of defeats the purpose.
Hi, I made a launcher back in 2011, Don't know if still works or not, but may be useful for you guys.

It overwrittes itself as being the default launcher, and it basically checks the oml version and opens it with with the closest Service Studio available.

Here are the instructions on how to install it: 

Launcher 1.1

HOW TO INSTALL:
1) Unzip Launcher.zip to this folder C:\Program Files\OutSystems\Launcher
2) execute Install_Launcher.reg

OPTIONAL:
3) Use this tip from Acacio if you wan't to open with a higher version (to Upgrade a oml for instance)

PS: everytime you install a ServiceStudio or a IntegrationStudio, you need to run the .reg again to re-register the launcher.

PPS: I tested it, and it seems to still be working

Disclaimer:
This Launcher is provided as-is and without any warranty. If you are unsure of what you are doing, please do not use it.
Particularly, do not use this in production servers.

Hi Carlos

Yes, indeed...
You know any way to change the entries in this sub-menu?
That would be the cherry on my cake :)

I´ve found this post on how to rename the entries, but haven't test it yet...

Cheers,
JA
Hi Luís,

Nice tip, thanks for sharing.
It should be a section in the forge for these kind of things!

Cheers,
JA
So it wasn't a stupid question to ask ... :-)

However it would be very nice if the installer would do this for me ... like this post on StackOverflow describes:

It is stored in the registry as the FriendlyAppName value under HKCR\Applications\YourExeName. Described in this MSDN page.

I've upgraded Acácio's script here.

Check if it helps you.

Best regards,
PC