Developing with OutSystems Platform for non-windows users
Hi all!

From time to time we receive requests from people that aren't using the Windows operative system but really want to try and use the OutSystems Platform. Our suggestion (and the one OutSystems staff also uses) is to use virtualization software such as VMWareParallels or VirtualBox and develop within a Windows VM.

So far, the only know issue when developing on a VM is this one:

Have fun developing and let us know if you encounter any issues / other suggestions!

Cheers!
Davide
Hi Davide, do you know if there anyone has tried Ubuntu using Wine? 

Craig Terblanche escreveu:

Olá Davide, você sabe se alguém já experimentou o Ubuntu usando o Wine? 

Craig, se você stiver usando uma distro UBUNTU pode baixar o WINE HQ para instalar a paltaforma que não terá problemas .....

Outra opção seria usar o distro LINUX WINDOWS FX, que é basedo em UBUNTU e que roda tranquilamente.

Espero ter ajudado.

Hi Craig! Yes, I and others have explored installing the .NET framework using Wine and Winetricks but in the end the development environment dependency on WPF was a blocker.
I seriously think you need to have either a web-based system or at least a mac version. In this day and age of the cloud, asking a developer to work within Windows or using VMWare is quite ridiculous chaps.

I think the same, I was curious about this type of platform but aimed at developers using Windows is absurd, for example in my particular I have more than 14 years with Linux through Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, and now that I have been hooked with Manjaro and seeing that exclusively this is for Windows really turned my course and I'm going somewhere else.

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi @Nuno Reis  and @Jose M Herrera V,

I think @Jose M Herrera V main concern was that he couldn't continue to use the OS of his preference, which seems to be Linux.

@Jose M Herrera V Have you try the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)? I'm sure is not as powerful as using Linux, but for my experience wsl 2.0 is very good to work with. 

Cheers,

João Franco

@Manu, suggesting ways how people can use the OutSystems Platform isn't ridiculus at all, it's just plain helpful! :)
Please give it a try and see for yourself why we get out of our way to help non-Windows folks use it. ;)
Hmm, I guess I missed the bit about having to use Windows (or a simulator) when I was reviewing the description ... 
bummer!!
I understand we need to have a windows pc to create an application. Will the apps created run on windows machines only?
No, all applications created by Outsystems are web applications.  Any reasonably current browser on any platform will be able to use the application you created.
No Mac version available? I will not even try any further, but just continue searching for a different vendors app...

Hi Erik,

meanwhile, Outsystems rolled out a Mac version, if you want to consider the platform in the future.

Cheers

Any roadmap available showing when developing with a Mac will be supported ?!
How does the VMWare announcement help? Will there be a virtual desktop that is cloud based?
https://www.outsystems.com/blog/2014/08/vmware-vcloud-air-and-outsystems.html
Hi,
Unfortunately we do not yet have visibility over when OutSystems Platform's development environment will be available on Mac. Porting it is a big endeavour and, even though we're moving in that direction, at this moment there is not much info we can provide. 

Please bear in mind that this applies only to the Platform's visual development environment, a lightweight piece of software that connects to your cloud environment. You applications can still be deployed in/to the cloud or on-premises, over a Windows or Linux based stack.

PS: Sent from my MacBook that runs the OutSystems Platform on a daily basis. :)

Thanks Goncalo, I understand the complexity of creating Service Studio for Mac but as a Mac User I'de like to run Service Studio in the cloud on a vitual desktop. My question was, does the VMWare "alliance" help this in any way?  
Craig-

Many of us here are Mac users. There are indeed some interesting options that our partnership with VMware creates, but it is too early to discuss.

Sean
I've been running service studio on a mac all this time :) but indeed it be more efficient to run it natively without having to boot up parallels desktop!
Has anyone used Visrtual Box from Oracle to run OneSystems platform? Any comments?
I've used VirtualBox to run the development environment from a machine with Ubuntu. No issues.
mvp_badge
MVP
I used it on a Mac for a year or so. Big issue I had was that if you switched desktops while certain screens were preparing to open, but not yet open, (like add/remove references, or merge) it could get "stuck" with the base window on one desktop and the new window on another desktop.

J.Ja
I have a Mac - goodbye.
This is painful and hypocritical. It is painful because I was certain I had found the answer to my problms.

It is hypocritical because the software is so flexible and responsive to different front-ends.
I have mac machine and i prepared application using web verison. But now when i am creating another application its not showing me web version option. Is it possible or not.

Hi Rekha,

The web version is a very experimental option we are providing only for new users, and it has several limitations that do not make sense for continuos use.

I would strongly reccomend you to install the full version on a windows environment (e.g. using parallels or remote desktoping to a machine in the cloud) to continue your work.

Cheers,
Tiago Simões
I've been using outsystems on a mac since outsystems platform 5.0. I use parallel desktop, no issues here :)
mvp_badge
MVP
There's an experimental Web version of Service Studio?

J.Ja
Hi Justin,

It's just an experiment we've been running for new users, that actually is a remote desktop to a windows machine. This version has several limitations (time, only one eSpace at a time, etc...).

Cheers,
Tiago Simões
Web based development environment is Windows only. Is this some kind of joke? :)
Hi Markus,

It is not windows only, in fact quite the opposite it is there mainly so people with macs can evaluate it. I'll PM you to understand problems you are facing.

Cheers,
Tiago Simões

Sounded too good to be true! Haven't used Windows since 1996 and I'm not going to for you! :-)

Best wishes and bye bye.

Please add Not for Mac on your homepage! 

Sorry, I'm a Mac user too.

Don't feel like developing in a virtual environment :(

What??? No Mac support? Moving on....

Big Disappointment, would have liked to know that you're windows only a bit (lot) earlier on.

mvp_badge
MVP

stephen silk wrote:

Big Disappointment, would have liked to know that you're windows only a bit (lot) earlier on.

The "system requirements" page lists the supported operating systems for the development environment. Where/how should it have been put so it would be more obvious? My workflow is to look for a system requirements page as soon as something looks good to me, but maybe that's just me?

J.Ja

Justin James wrote:

stephen silk wrote:

The "system requirements" page lists the supported operating systems for the development environment. Where/how should it have been put so it would be more obvious? My workflow is to look for a system requirements page as soon as something looks good to me, but maybe that's just me?

J.Ja

No, it's not just you! I do this aswell! 

Im considering getting a Mac to try and learn X code but I don't want to lose my ability to use Outsystems. I see Macs have a Boot camp functionality to run Windows. Would this allow me to install Outsystems? 

mvp_badge
MVP

Eddy S wrote:

Im considering getting a Mac to try and learn X code but I don't want to lose my ability to use Outsystems. I see Macs have a Boot camp functionality to run Windows. Would this allow me to install Outsystems? 

Yes. Or Parallels. I used it with Parallels about 5 years ago and it was mostly fine, probably much better now.

J.Ja

Having an OS dependency to make OS independent software is not acceptable in 2018.

Luis Peregrina wrote:

Having an OS dependency to make OS independent software is not acceptable in 2018.

I can't agree more.

I too, hoped that Outsystems would have by now outgrown their OS dependence given the fact that they stand on the shoulders of many open source giants. Still, if I were an enterprise I would put them on top of the list for internal development. I have watched and tried many toolsets over the last 10 years and only a handful have survived and prospered while some of these are still OS dependent. If I were to start again as a software developer I would seriously consider AwareIM or Ebase's Xi. 

Hi all: just sharing the exciting news that OutSystems Service Studio is now available for Mac OS in a Technical Preview:

Please try it and share your feedback!

Correcting my earlier comment, Studio for Mac tech preview is only available for OS11: https://www.outsystems.com/home/downloadsdetail/110/2112/

The version for Mac OS is great news. But I am on a Linux system :-(

When Microsoft is slowly going cross platform (Visual Studio Code, Skype etc.) you seem to be driving in the wrong lane in 2019. Please consider using Electron to build your next version of Outsystems IDE. If that sounds like a moonshot, at least get a collection of Visual Studio Code extensions built that can allow non-Windows users to get stuff done.

Why I cannot use the VirtualBox/Parallels solution the admins here seem to be cheerfully recommending? Licensing cost folks! My company is Linux/Mac based only.

Thanks,

Abi

mvp_badge
MVP

Abishek,

A very good Windows laptop costs about $1000 less than an equivalent Mac one. I would think that the $100 licencing costs of Parallels wouldn't be much of an issue then.

Para resolver esta questão dos sistemas operacionais, bastava a plataforma ter sido construída com QT ou GTK.

Assim, todos usariam no sistema operacional que melhor lhe agrada.

mvp_badge
MVP

Hello Marcos Jimmer,

Please state your replies in English, which is the language on the OutSystems community. This so that the complete community can understand what you write. You can of cours google translate your Portugues to English and than copy past the English text. This avoids that the whole community needs to translate your text.

Regards,

Daniel

HI! I using a linux mint on my note, so I will try to install the tool with wine. The result I will report here.

Max FLPCoelho wrote:

HI! I using a linux mint on my note, so I will try to install the tool with wine. The result I will report here.

Thank you... I would like to start use OutSystems platform on Linux, when possible give us a feedback. 

Hey Max, I have exactly the same environment here... any success from your side?

Hi Alecio!

Unfortunately not. I managed to install the environment, using wine, but when starting, it depends on the browser to connect to the platform, that's where the problem happens. It just doesn't work! To get around the problem, I installed an image of windows 8, inside the virtualbox, so I can use the outsystems environment. I'm sad about that.

"Multi platform", they said. Let's try, I said, while evaluating as the 1st option to use in the company.

Then,
Ask to the developer to download an .exe

This mus be a joke, I thought.

The sad reality is that it's a joke. The product is a joke. The deception is real.

As the realization to move on settles, the time spent on this joke remains.

PS: I tried to run on Wine. It just crashes...

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi Reynaldo,

I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but exactly nobody has claimed you can run the OutSystems development tools on Linux. OutSystems is enterprise software, and as it stands, enterprises use Windows, and perhaps Mac OS.

That said, if I asked one of my employees to evaluate software for me, and they quit that quickly with that attitude, I'd probably fire them.

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi Reynaldo,

There is a difference between "Multiplatform IDE" as you state and "Multiexperience Development Platforms" in what what OutSystems is as leader and visionior as recognized by Gartner.showca

The development of OutSystems can be done on Windows, and Mac (not a smooth experience sofar) but OutSystems show cased a new NextGen version of their IDE that will uses one codebase for Windows and Mac. When this is released then they are a Multiexperience Development Platform with a multiplatform IDE.

Regards,

Daniel

@Daniël Kuhlmann, I agree with your idea. 

But we all know that Gartner is very traditional advisory company and they will only publish on their "Magic Quadrant" companies who are paying them to do that.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not saying they are tendentious, but probably we won't see some competitors on that list. On their website, Gartner says that the points to be considered before adding a vendor on their analysis are:

• market share
  • number of clients
  • installed base
  • types of products/services
  • target market 
  • other defining characteristics

There are companies not appearing inside their quadrants (or even on the analysis) and are much better than the others being highlighted. To understand what I'm talking about, have a look on this article and tell me if you disagree 100% with that.

OutSystems is an excellent tool to be used by devs, but that "magic cube" definitely is not a good argument to defend your idea.

BTW: is there any chance to have OutSystems running on Linux without "workarounds"?

So just to get this straight: In June 2014 you suggested that you are working on a Mac Version, and that until then people just buy a Windows License for their Mac and run your software on a VM. Ok, so it is now the third decade, 2021. Has there been any progress on porting? Is there really anything in your software that is so dependent on the Windoze SDK that porting it isn't feasible?

Unfortunately, for us this is a NO GO.

mvp_badge
MVP

Yes, there is a new version under development that works on Macs, and uses .NET Core so its cross platform.

J.Ja

Great, but is there an expected release date`?

mvp_badge
MVP

Not at this time, though it's soonish as I understand it. (There was a technical preview a few months ago.)

J.Ja

Community GuidelinesBe kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting.