BPT in Mobile App vs in Web App

BPT in Mobile App vs in Web App

  

HI there,

I want to know:

1. Is BPT process applicable to mobile app?

2. What is the difference between BPT in web app and mobile app?

Many thanks.

regards,

indra

Hi Indra,


The BPT only runs on the Platform Server and doesn't execute directly on mobile apps / client devices.


You can access the BPT functionalities from web and mobile applications, using the available APIs to:

  1. Create process instances
  2. Task/activity retrieval
  3. Task/activity completions
  4. And so on


From a very simplistic and non-technical perspective, as far as I understood, the architecture is something like:


The BPT seams more integrated with the web app because you have components in web development that already give you some functionalities out-of-the-box (like the Taskbox).


There is a forum thread with some additional info that might be interesting for you to read: https://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/32645/is-there-a-way-to-set-a-mobile-screen-as-the-destination-of-a-bpt-human-acrivity/.


Cheers,

Renato


Indra Budiantho wrote:

HI there,

I want to know:

1. Is BPT process applicable to mobile app?

2. What is the difference between BPT in web app and mobile app?

Many thanks.

regards,

indra



hi Renato,

thank you for quick reply. Does it mean that mobile app have no Task box? If so, how is the use case to use it in the mobile app? 

regards,

indra

Solution

As far as I know there is no out-of-the-box task box for mobile apps.


I think you can implement it the following way (not exhaustive, not 100% sure as I'm currently prototyping something similar):

  1. Screen with List widget
  2. The list items are loaded using OnPullRequest even handler
  3. The event handler calls a Data Action
  4. The Data Action call a Server Action that fetches the task list using the Business Process APIs  


From the use case point of view, it gives the users the possibility to have the task list integrated in a mobile app with offline scenarios (additional development need to be done to support this).


Cheers,

Renato


Indra Budiantho wrote:

hi Renato,

thank you for quick reply. Does it mean that mobile app have no Task box? If so, how is the use case to use it in the mobile app? 

regards,

indra



Solution

Hi Indra,

There's some older information about a custom taskbox here. Also, there's the API that Renato mentioned, a direct link is here. With this information you could create a taskbox yourself. However, I'm not sure it makes much sense on a mobile device, I'd rather integrate it with an app.

Thank you so much Renato and Killian. 

Renato, Where can i find that  OnPullRequest even handler?

and Killian do you mean just let the BPT and taskbox in web app?

regards,

indra

It's in the layout:

Indra Budiantho wrote:

Thank you so much Renato and Killian. 

Renato, Where can i find that  OnPullRequest even handler?

and Killian do you mean just let the BPT and taskbox in web app?

regards,

indra



Indra Budiantho wrote:

Killian do you mean just let the BPT and taskbox in web app?

What I mean is that you could, with the API, create a mobile custom task box. Of course, since you need to go to the server, you must be online for that.