Hi all!

I have created a web application which now the client wants to use it offline.
I followed this link: https://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/22453/offline-capability-in-responsive-web-application/
which says that we cannot use the responsive web application.

Since the post is outdated, is there any available options in Outsystems now so that we can enable the offline access and once the device is connected to the internet, the data should get synced to the cloud database of Outsystems.

Thanks in advance!

Solution

Hi Aditya,

Offline Web Apps is something you really shouldn't want. Mobile Apps can be build to work offline, but with Web Apps it's a huge pain. Unfortunately, as I replied in your other post, it's not possible to easily convert a Web App to a Mobile App (and also, Mobile Apps shouldn't be run on desktops). The best thing to do is inform the client that what they want is technically impossible.

Solution

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi Aditya,

Offline Web Apps is something you really shouldn't want. Mobile Apps can be build to work offline, but with Web Apps it's a huge pain. Unfortunately, as I replied in your other post, it's not possible to easily convert a Web App to a Mobile App (and also, Mobile Apps shouldn't be run on desktops). The best thing to do is inform the client that what they want is technically impossible.

Quick Question on this.

"(and also, Mobile Apps shouldn't be run on desktops)." on this line in the above comment.

why should't be Mobile Apps run on Desktops. There are Emulators right ? Is there any issues using offline Mobile Apps through Emulators or Virtual Machines?.

I Assume that you might point out that there might be a lot of users so we cannot expect all users to Install Emulators, But what if my App will be used by few people from within the company ?

Is there Anything else that might cause issue ?

I Realize that I can suggest that client goes ahead building a Tablet app and use that Tablet Offline, But what if client has a preference to go with Laptop. Do you think this will be a Huge blocker ? 

Hi Coder,

The main reason is that the emulator was built to be just that: an emulator. It's for quickly testing your Mobile App's basic features. It is in no way guaranteed to stay consistent between sessions, for example, with regards to data in the local database. Also, you won't be able to use any devices, even if the laptop has, say, a camera, you can't use the Mobile App's camera plugin for that.