Transparent Data Encryption

Hi All,

What with GDPR coming into force next friday (May 25th), we might need to keep all the data always encrypted, to prevent 3rd parties from accessing it.

So, is it possible to install/run the platform on a database encrypted using TDE?

(https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/security/encryption/transparent-data-encryption?view=sql-server-2017)

As far as I can tell, since it's transparent, it should, but has anyone tested this?

Additionally, if it is possible to use TDE in the OutSystems Enterprise Cloud? I'd imagine it wouldn't be possible in shared databases, but should be possible with private databases. Obviously assuming the platform actually supports it.

Thanks!

Carlos

Hi Carlos,

Data encryption is not a valid measure to comply with the GDPR. Data protection is. I'm not sure why you think encryption would somehow be the answer.

Not commenting on the GDPR part but with Outsystems you can request that Encryption at rest be used. See below quote from Outsystems Support. We are currently going through this process ourselves due to a third party requirement.

OutSystems encrypts data-at-rest in production databases, by customer request, using the industry standard AES-256 encryption algorithm. This is provided by AWS. More information: https://d0.awsstatic.com/whitepapers/aws-security-whitepaper.pdf

Just an FYI on the above from a response we just got back from Outsystems Support on this same subject. To enable Encryption your database server must be at least Class 2 so if you running Class 1 you need to allow for a database server upgrade cost.

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi Carlos,

Data encryption is not a valid measure to comply with the GDPR. Data protection is. I'm not sure why you think encryption would somehow be the answer.

True, but since the client I'm working for is using the OutSystems Enterprise Cloud, and we can't neither physically secure the servers, nor decide when backups are made or stored, nor decide who has physical access to them, nor decide who has login access to them (DBAs, OutSystems Platforms admins, etc), because that's kind of the point of using cloud solutions, we need to have some way to protect the *very* sensitive information that the site users will provide us from all of those possible points of access.

Isn't that, in fact, the whole point of TDE?

But you're right, there are other things we'll do, we'll also have very restricted access to the data, extensive logging, security compliance, and a ton of other things on the application side to ensure that unauthorized users can't access the data.

And yes, we'll also implement ways for users to amend or remove their personal data.

So yeah, it's not *the* solution, but it's *part* of the solution.

Well, encrypting sensitive information is always prudent, but as for the GDPR, you need to make a Processing Agreement (or whatever it's called in the GDPR) with all parties that have access to the data.

I know too little about encrypting the data to know whether this will prevent DBAs etc. from taking a look at it, but I'm sure you do :).