Generic question: how do you create reports ?

Hi all,

I have a very "generic" question: how do you create reports ??

Do you start from Excel / Word template ?

Do you use PDFs ?

Do you use Crystal Reports ?

I just want to know your experience about it ...

Thanks !

Hi Luca de Mori,

It all depends on the type of information you want to extract.

Usually it goes like this:

1. Create independent web blocks for each table and graph.
  2. Order them in a page.
  3. Apply permissions to the web blocks based on the viewer profile.
  4. Apply a PDF converter so it can be extracted/mailed.

I also used SSRS a few times, but OS is more flexible for most of the reports and the strengths of SSRS many times are forgotten when replaced by some nice charts.

but ... how do you "design" a report ?

I mean ... header, footer, the graphic parts ? Do you start from something like InDesign or similar ?

Hi 

In a very loose sense, a report is a web screen with the layout & content designed the way you want. 

It is also possible to export your web screen (report) into pdf, excel and other formats. 

If you look into forge you will find components & connectors to SSRS, BI etc if you prefer to go that way. 

Regards

Amal

Luca De Mori wrote:

I mean ... header, footer, the graphic parts ? Do you start from something like InDesign or similar ?

Like Nuno said.

Put everything in webBlocks and mount a webpage...

Luca De Mori wrote:

Not really.

In Excel you can preload headers and add the info afterwards.

In Pdf I just build it with HTML.

I only do the daily usage reports. Pretier reports are usually taken from BI tools.

so, if I understand correctly, you "design" the reports in HTML and you create a PDF of that pages ?

what if is a multiple page report ?

P.S.: I don't want to know how I can create a report ... I just want to know your workflow / instruments you use

Luca De Mori wrote:

so, if I understand correctly, you "design" the reports in HTML and you create a PDF of that pages ?

P.S.: I don't want to know how I can create a report ... I just want to know your workflow / instruments you use

Yes. You can use https://www.outsystems.com/forge/component-overview/209/html2pdfconverter

You can merge more than one pdf report, you  can use, https://www.outsystems.com/forge/component/1819/pdf-helper/ and https://www.outsystems.com/forge/component-overview/298/simpe-pdf-concatenate

Luca De Mori wrote:

Yes. HTML is the start and default view. PDF is to save for later, print or email.

Html2PdfConverter worked fine every time. I had hundreds of reports with 7-10 pages created daily.