Hello

I would like to ask if it is there a way to set up an Intranet Web Application with Outsystems that can be used Offline?  

Can I use the Mobile Offline Application to do so?

Thank you

Marco Arede wrote:

Hi norman in,

Yes, see here this documentation to restrict access to your application:

And see here explanation for using offline mobile apps:

Let me know if this helps, cheers.

Thank you for the fast reply, there is only one question still remain and that is there a way to still work with application within the intranet even when it is offline?

Hi norman in,

An application offline by definition is not connected to a network (even an internal network).

What is you use case? (maybe I can help with more context)

Hi Norman,

I think Marco has not understood your question. You are asking whether you can build offline Web Apps, right? The only pragmatic answer is no, you cannot. The second question, using Mobile has also a negative answer: you cannot build a Mobile App then using it as a Web App.

I'm sensing you want to create an App with OutSystems, then turn of the server, perhaps to avoid licencing costs? This is not allowed, an OutSystems Application must be able to reach the Server, at least once in a while (for Mobile).

Marco Arede wrote:

Hi norman in,

An application offline by definition is not connected to a network (even an internal network).

What is you use case? (maybe I can help with more context)

True what I wanted was an application that can be used by the company PC even when there is no connection to the intranet and resync to the server database with the changes done kinda like the mobile offline but for PC, because the only solution I got for now is creating a mobile application and using an android emulator.

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi Norman,

I think Marco has not understood your question. You are asking whether you can build offline Web Apps, right? The only pragmatic answer is no, you cannot. The second question, using Mobile has also a negative answer: you cannot build a Mobile App then using it as a Web App.

I'm sensing you want to create an App with OutSystems, then turn of the server, perhaps to avoid licencing costs? This is not allowed, an OutSystems Application must be able to reach the Server, at least once in a while (for Mobile).

oh no what I wanted was an application that can be used by the company PC even when there is no connection to the intranet and resync to the server database with the changes done kinda like the mobile offline but for PC

Hi norman in,

It's correct when Kilian Hekhuis says that the pragmatic answer to offline web applications is no.

However you could maybe take a look into this tool, perhaps it can help to implement some use cases offline: https://www.outsystems.com/forge/component-overview/4990/local-storage.

However let me tell you, it's not straight forward! ;) Hope it helps.

Marco Arede wrote:

Hi norman in,

It's correct when Kilian Hekhuis says that the pragmatic answer to offline web applications is no.

However you could maybe take a look into this tool, perhaps it can help to implement some use cases offline: https://www.outsystems.com/forge/component-overview/4990/local-storage.

However let me tell you, it's not straight forward! ;) Hope it helps.

thank you very much

Hi Norman,

In what situation would an office PC not be connected to the intranet? I can see that in some more developing countries you'd lose connection to the internet, but to the local intranet? Anyway, like I said, I wouldn't even try to do that (even not with the component Marco suggested), as it's bound to fail.

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi Norman,

In what situation would an office PC not be connected to the intranet? I can see that in some more developing countries you'd lose connection to the internet, but to the local intranet? Anyway, like I said, I wouldn't even try to do that (even not with the component Marco suggested), as it's bound to fail.

Well something like when in office it is connected to the intranet, but outside in the field you loose the connection and it has to be ready to work even under that condition

Yes, if you don't have any connection that won't work. But that's why mobile device were invented, instead of using less mobile devices :).

Hi Norman,

Given what you said, maybe you could use the two approaches for the same application:

1) native mobile app to use offline when you are in the field; 2) web app for desktop when you are in office.

Then everything would work as you need correct? Create a core system and use synchronization of data as is explained here:

https://www.outsystems.com/learn/courses/12/developing-outsystems-mobile-apps/

Cheers!

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Yes, if you don't have any connection that won't work. But that's why mobile device were invented, instead of using less mobile devices :).

well problem is the device most company use are laptops :P

Marco Arede wrote:

Hi Norman,

Given what you said, maybe you could use the two approaches for the same application:

1) native mobile app to use offline when you are in the field; 2) web app for desktop when you are in office.

Then everything would work as you need correct? Crete a core system and use synchronization of data as is explained here:

https://www.outsystems.com/learn/courses/12/developing-outsystems-mobile-apps/

Cheers!

hum thank you