How to backup application or move to another server include the database records?

Hi, There, 

How to backup application or move to another server include the database records?

Many Thanks,

Jack

Hello Jack,

As you are asking about this, I'll assume you are talking about Personal Environment here. So...

1. There is no direct access to the database. So, the only way to back up its data (I think), is to create an application to download it (Excel, CSV, etc).

If you are talking about Enterprise Environments, it will depend on if the environment is OnPremises or Cloud (OutSystems). In the first, you have access to the database (probably), in the second you can ask OutSystems for that, I think.

2. You can download the application from the Application page in Service Studio or from Service Center.
But you will be unable to install them in any other environment, so it is pointless. You can stop using the environment and after some time (a month?) it will be erased, but OutSystmes will provide you with a link with all the applications in there, that you potentially could install in another Personal Environment, but I would not risk, as this is not guaranteed: both to have the files or be able to install (I never tested it and already hear that some person didn't receive the files).

As in general there is no reason to move applications from a personal environment as they are not intended to be used as developing environments (but as learning environments), you are pretty much out of options here.

If you are talking about an Enterprise Environment, you can download the applications and install them in the other environment if they are in the same infrastructure. If they aren't, you can pass it through the IPP and replace the IPP from the original environment by the IPP of the new environment (you will need the activation code of the new environment). You can also use LifeTime to deploy applications between environments in the same infrastructure.

Said that what is your use case exactly?

Cheers.

Hi Eduardo,

Mine is on premises enterprise env,what is ipp how can I migration the data ?the app seems it can download and upload.

Many thanks,

Jack

Eduardo Jauch wrote:

Hello Jack,

As you are asking about this, I'll assume you are talking about Personal Environment here. So...

1. There is no direct access to the database. So, the only way to back up its data (I think), is to create an application to download it (Excel, CSV, etc).

If you are talking about Enterprise Environments, it will depend on if the environment is OnPremises or Cloud (OutSystems). In the first, you have access to the database (probably), in the second you can ask OutSystems for that, I think.

2. You can download the application from the Application page in Service Studio or from Service Center.
But you will be unable to install them in any other environment, so it is pointless. You can stop using the environment and after some time (a month?) it will be erased, but OutSystmes will provide you with a link with all the applications in there, that you potentially could install in another Personal Environment, but I would not risk, as this is not guaranteed: both to have the files or be able to install (I never tested it and already hear that some person didn't receive the files).

As in general there is no reason to move applications from a personal environment as they are not intended to be used as developing environments (but as learning environments), you are pretty much out of options here.

If you are talking about an Enterprise Environment, you can download the applications and install them in the other environment if they are in the same infrastructure. If they aren't, you can pass it through the IPP and replace the IPP from the original environment by the IPP of the new environment (you will need the activation code of the new environment). You can also use LifeTime to deploy applications between environments in the same infrastructure.

Said that what is your use case exactly?

Cheers.

Hi,

Well, regarding database backup, you should talk to your IT team to do so. This is a company decision and requires (often) a well-defined process in order for you to safeguard your data. 

Moving data to another database is a more delicate process and requires the same as above. There are commercial tools that can help this, in the case of OutSystems. 

Regarding moving the app to another environment, there is this question...

Is the environment in the same infrastructure? Do you have LifeTime? What exactly are you trying to accomplish here?

If you are moving the application between environments that are not in the same infrastructure, regarding IPP, you need the Activation Code of the destination server (you find it under the License page in Service Center) and you need to upload your application giving the new Activation here. If everything is ok, you will receive a link with the new application package and can safely install in the new environment.

https://www.outsystems.com/homeIpp/IPP_Page.aspx

Be warned that you can't transfer applications to a personal environment.