[Barcode Plugin] Barcode scanner picking any random string

Forge Component
(25)
Published on 2019-10-18 by OutSystems R&D
25 votes
Published on 2019-10-18 by OutSystems R&D

Hello ,

When I point the scanner on any random thing from y android phone , except barcode or QR code , it is generator an ID in a scanResult. It should not happen . Please let me know how can we avoid this.

Thanks!

Arpita

Hi Arpita,

This is a known behaviour from this plugin and it's related to the framework that we currently use for Barcode Plugin. We're using the csZBar framework and this is a limitation that can't be fixed on the integration side.

Summing up, this is a limitation that we can't overcome.

Thanks

Does this plugin read PDF417 barcode format type?

Hi Vitor,

This issue is also very problematic for us. On a project we depend on correct scanning of QR Codes and this component doesn't do that. The underlying issue is logged in the following github issue: https://github.com/tjwoon/csZBar/issues/109

The reason we use this particular component is because it is a OutSystems supported component. With these components I think we can expect a bit more support and effort then with a regular Forge component. If this issue can't be solved because of the underlying framework (that it isn't updated anymore for at least 4 years and can therefor be noted as abandoned) then perhaps it's time to implement some other SDK? 

Kind regards,

Vincent Koning

Hi Vincent, 

We are aware of these issues. We have in our roadmap plans to review this plugin to improve the component, but for now, I can't set a date for it. 

Thanks.