Ie browser compatibility issue

Hello,

I'm facing the many problems with all my applications regarding compatibility of IE browsers. I already developed multiple Applications using the OutsystemsUI Framework and the layout is applied correctly in any browser but not on the Internet Explorer. 

The same  problem is being faced using Silk UI as well as newly launched Responsive UI as well.  the responsive UI is very bad especially for IE11. where it is not working as expected.  

What is the best and easiest way to solve IE browser compatibility issues to have best UI/UX experince like on other browsers. 

Best regards.

Prashanth

Hi Prasanth,

It might help to explain what problems you are having and the specific version of Internet Explorer.  Is it only Internet Explorer 11?

Check the patterns page (and for OSUI) to see if the issues you are experiencing also occur there.  If the issue does not appear there, there could be something in your application causing a problem, possibly JS or CSS related.  It might also be worth creating a sample application to replicate the problem, which would help rule out any issues being caused by your application.

I am in the process of building a large enterprise application using Silk UI which must support Internet Explorer 11.  While we have found one or two small issues, for the most part Silk UI is performing well on IE 11.

This page explains that SilkUI supports Internet Explorer 8 and up, but with some limitations, though it does not say what the limitations are

https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/SILK_UI_Framework/09_FAQs

Silk UI Web is built to support all modern browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Safari, Opera and all modern devices such as IOS 7+, Android 4.0+ and Windows Mobile 8.1+. Internet Explorer, starting with version 8, is also supported, but with some limitations (check patterns documentation for IE8 compatibility).

Silk UI Mobile follows the same requirements as OutSystems Now, Android 4.4.2+ and IOS 8+.

For OutSystems UI, it is meant to support Internet Explorer 11, although I notice there have been some reports of compatibility issues

https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/11/Setting_Up_OutSystems/OutSystems_system_requirements#Desktop_Browsers_(Web_applications)

Desktop Browsers (Web applications)
Internet Explorer 11 (Traditional Web Only)
Edge (latest stable version)
Firefox (latest stable version)
Google Chrome (latest stable version)
Safari (latest stable version)
Mobile Device Browsers (Web applications)
iOS 7 or higher
Android 4.1 or higher
Windows Phone 8 or higher

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Stuart.

Solution

Hi Prashanth,

IE is a legacy browser. Even Microsoft itself advises that you do not use Internet Explorer, but instead use Edge (if you must use MS products). Any customer that wants new functionality using an ancient browser should be asked to reconsider. Any customer wanting to use OutSystems, must be told IE compatability is limited, exactly because it is no longer a current browser.

Solution

Hi Prashanth!

Like Kilian mentioned, IE, well that's ancient and no longer supported by the manufacturer... hip hip hurray!

Stuart also gave you a pretty good and complete answer, which will possibly help. Also the a pertinent question is which IE are you aiming to support? :)

But bottom line, I'm here to complement both answers and tell you how if you reaaaaaaaallllyyyyy have to, how can you do it...

The idea: IE is an exception, as such should be dealt as such (future doesn't look bright for it... wait did I anyone mentioned that there's a future for IE?!?), this means that you should:

• create a stylesheet with all the hacks and quirks (or just the CSS that you need for IE)
  • Use a JavaScript that will inject the IE stylesheet if in IE.. (if you need help I can explain how, but I think that there's gazillion of information on that) - nevertheless you can use html ifs (<!--[if IE 6]>, <!--[if IE 7]>, <!--[if IE 8]>)

And well, life's hard when you have IE, so good luck! But do let us know if you need more help.

Cheers,

RG

Stuart Harris wrote:

Hi Prasanth,

It might help to explain what problems you are having and the specific version of Internet Explorer.  Is it only Internet Explorer 11?

Check the patterns page (and for OSUI) to see if the issues you are experiencing also occur there.  If the issue does not appear there, there could be something in your application causing a problem, possibly JS or CSS related.  It might also be worth creating a sample application to replicate the problem, which would help rule out any issues being caused by your application.

I am in the process of building a large enterprise application using Silk UI which must support Internet Explorer 11.  While we have found one or two small issues, for the most part Silk UI is performing well on IE 11.

This page explains that SilkUI supports Internet Explorer 8 and up, but with some limitations, though it does not say what the limitations are

https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/SILK_UI_Framework/09_FAQs

Silk UI Web is built to support all modern browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Safari, Opera and all modern devices such as IOS 7+, Android 4.0+ and Windows Mobile 8.1+. Internet Explorer, starting with version 8, is also supported, but with some limitations (check patterns documentation for IE8 compatibility).

Silk UI Mobile follows the same requirements as OutSystems Now, Android 4.4.2+ and IOS 8+.

For OutSystems UI, it is meant to support Internet Explorer 11, although I notice there have been some reports of compatibility issues

https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/11/Setting_Up_OutSystems/OutSystems_system_requirements#Desktop_Browsers_(Web_applications)

Desktop Browsers (Web applications)
Internet Explorer 11 (Traditional Web Only)
Edge (latest stable version)
Firefox (latest stable version)
Google Chrome (latest stable version)
Safari (latest stable version)
Mobile Device Browsers (Web applications)
iOS 7 or higher
Android 4.1 or higher
Windows Phone 8 or higher

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Stuart.

Thank you for your reply. 

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi Prashanth,

IE is a legacy browser. Even Microsoft itself advises that you do not use Internet Explorer, but instead use Edge (if you must use MS products). Any customer that wants new functionality using an ancient browser should be asked to reconsider. Any customer wanting to use OutSystems, must be told IE compatability is limited, exactly because it is no longer a current browser.

Thank you for your reply. this make lot of sense. I have in fact raised a ticket. 

Ruben Goncalves wrote:

Hi Prashanth!

Like Kilian mentioned, IE, well that's ancient and no longer supported by the manufacturer... hip hip hurray!

Stuart also gave you a pretty good and complete answer, which will possibly help. Also the a pertinent question is which IE are you aiming to support? :)

But bottom line, I'm here to complement both answers and tell you how if you reaaaaaaaallllyyyyy have to, how can you do it...

The idea: IE is an exception, as such should be dealt as such (future doesn't look bright for it... wait did I anyone mentioned that there's a future for IE?!?), this means that you should:

• create a stylesheet with all the hacks and quirks (or just the CSS that you need for IE)
  • Use a JavaScript that will inject the IE stylesheet if in IE.. (if you need help I can explain how, but I think that there's gazillion of information on that) - nevertheless you can use html ifs (<!--[if IE 6]>, <!--[if IE 7]>, <!--[if IE 8]>)

And well, life's hard when you have IE, so good luck! But do let us know if you need more help.

Cheers,

RG

Yes thanks for your reply. the problem is in our organization there are people who use IE11 and IE 8 as well. SO it becomes very important for us to handle this situation. Your reply helps me a lot but I thought if there is quick solution other than the normal css workaround. I have raised a ticket with outsystems  but I know I cannot do nothing much about this. 

IE8 is plain dangerous. Any organization using is playing with fire.