Hi all, and happy December!

And as it's the season of giving, we wanted to share something we've been working on: a way for .NET developers to lean OutSystems faster and more effectively!

Today we launched the first set of two courses of what will in time be a longer Guided Path, specifically a new take to Getting Started with OutSystems, as well as an overview of the OutSystems Platform for .NET Developers:

In the coming weeks we should launch demos around actual Language and Framework, and then the Guided Path will be completed.

In the meantime, we would definitely appreciate your feedback here or over at knowledge@outsystems.com as we flesh these out.

Thank you, and have a great weekend!

I will have a look at the new training material, altought i already 'converted' a few years ago from .net to OutSystems. Nice to see OutSystems is adding more and more learn content.

I have also mooved to OutSystems from .NET few years ago but I have checked and this course looks good and will help .NET developers to understand OutSystems very easilywith these comparitive explainations.

Too bad for me that I didn't do .Net for the last 11 years. I can't present myself well on OutSystems discussion with people all on the side of .Net. LOL.

Congrats on the new training material. I will take a look as soon as possible.

\o/ Very nice theme! Congrats! 

Yap!! Keep provide more training material!!!

Great Job outsystems team, this course is very helpful, thank you:)

Good initiative. It's a great way to grow all those coming from .NET faster. I'll have a look.

Happy Monday, and thank you all for your interest in this topic.

We're glad that it has at least proven to be a topic of interest for you all.

If you have had the chance to go through it, do let us know how useful it was using this small form, so that we can best measure its usefulness and improve it.

Thank you once again, and have a great week!

Hi @Paulo Tavares,

I´m starting the videos and this learning course. I tried to open the form and it sais that i need some kind g authorisation, Is this right? 

I have .NET background so it´s good for me learning.

Thank you

Nice course, the project type template and mapping in the course is like a cheat sheet :) 

Contentful.

Hi Paulo,

Nice initiative , it will really help .net developers to get there most of the questions answered in the beginning itself.

The comparison is really important to understand how things are similar with different terminology .

Regards,

-PJ-

Hi Paulo,

This will really help .net developers & great work..... Nice initiative & highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rajat Agrawal

Hi Paulo,

I also found this course helpful.

Do you have any plan to give an additional course comparing configurations in IIS Manager or web.config with OutSystems way?

Thank you.

Junji Watanabe

Junji Watanabe wrote:

Hi Paulo,

I also found this course helpful.

Do you have any plan to give an additional course comparing configurations in IIS Manager or web.config with OutSystems way?

Thank you.

Junji Watanabe

Hi Junji, thanks for the reply.

I don't believe we will be exploring those in this set of trainings, as those relate more to the infrastructure management than necessarily the development side of things.

Can you share more about the exact need you have and what you're looking for, as maybe we can help?

Thanks.

Paulo Tavares wrote:

Hi Junji, thanks for the reply.

I don't believe we will be exploring those in this set of trainings, as those relate more to the infrastructure management than necessarily the development side of things.

Can you share more about the exact need you have and what you're looking for, as maybe we can help?

Thanks.

Hi Paulo,

Thank you for your kindness, but my problem has already been resolved.

In my case, I had to know how much is the timeout value of web requests in OutSystems and how to change it.
Some developers made web screens that contained requests taking very long time, and occasionally those requests caused errors.

I was asked to research the cause and devise a solution. Considering OutSystems is based on ASP.NET, I thought the cause might be a timeout setting in web.config and wanted to know how it was implemented in OutSystems. So, I think it would be helpful for experienced .NET developers if there was a course explaining how configuration settings in ASP.NET are mapped to settings in OutSystems.

Regards,
Junji Watanabe

Hi Junji, 

Thanks for the reply, that makes sense. How/where did you find the solution for your problem, if you don't mind me asking?

Regards, and have a great week.

Paulo

Hi Paulo,

I spent a lot of time between step 1 and 2 below to judge it is not the setting of OutSystems but the setting of ASP.NET or IIS level.

Rough steps to resolve the issue was as follows:

1. I found an error message that states request timeout occurred in the Service Center logs.

2. I searched on the web with keywords ASP.NET, web.config and timeout to find a few timeout settings.

3. Considering the duration before timeout occurs (about 2 minutes), I suspected it was executionTimeout.

4. I changed the value to a longer period and I found timeout did not occur. So, the long  running request was cancelled bacause of exceeding the executionTimeout setting.

5. I explained the cause to the developer and told them to make the request time shorter than executionTimeout.

Regards,

Junji Watanabe

Thank you Junji for clarifying the need, and the steps to troubleshoot it.

I wonder: did you run into this documentation asset and was it (or would it have been) useful? If not, let us know how it could have been improved, as this was intended to help with those scenarios - whether coming from .NET or not.

Regards, and thank you for the message.

Paulo

Hi Paulo,

Yes, I read the document, and it helped me list up possible options.

With my current knowledge of executionTimeout being the cause, "Application Request Timeout" section put me an answer.

At the time of researching, I could not be sure this is the cause.

So, I tried executionTimeout and other settings.

Maybe I am wrong, but I think the default setting of executionTimeout is 110 seconds not 100 seconds.

(https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.web.configuration.httpruntimesection.executiontimeout?view=netframework-4.6.1)

It would be better if this document stated inheritance hierarchy between machine.config and web.config, settings about the web server connection timeout and the session timeout.

Regards,

Junji Watanabe