I am building a Reactive Web App using version 11.

I am attempting to upload file using the platforms Upload widget.

Files upload ok, unless the upload takes longer than 10 seconds.  If the call to the server action to upload the file takes over 10 seconds an error is displayed "There was an error processing your request." and the logs show "[ErrorScreen] The connection has timed out".

In my testing, that appears to mean my files are effectively limited to around 7MB (slow internet in Australia).

Does anyone know how to extend the timeout, without affecting the timeout of other actions?

Or is there another way of uploading large files?

I suspect I could chunk the files, but I only want to do that if there is no better way.

Hi Stuart,

Did you try the SetRequestTimeout action from HTTPRequestHandler module?

If you set it to -1 you have an infinite timeout, which would allow you to upload larger files.

Regards,

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Yes, thank you, I just noticed that now, but didn't know about -1!

Thats great, problem solved!

Kind regards,

Stuart

Actually, I'm not sure that will do the trick, as the request will not get to the action in order to call SetRequestTimeout, because it is still uploading.

Although I did manage to find the ServerRequestTimeout. It appears when you drag a server action onto a client action. I'll let you know how it goes.

Hi Stuart,

Yes maybe for React it is different, I am not sure. It works for traditional web apps.

Regards,

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Well you set me on the right path anyway, so thank you for that.

I have confirmed that for Reactive Web Apps increasing the Server Request Timeout on a server action within a client action will allow large files to upload. I changed it from the default 10 seconds, to 100 seconds.

I tried SetRequestTimeout within the action, but it timed out before it was called.

I would probably avoid using -1, and just set it to a value large enough to support the expected bandwidth and file size for the intended application (maybe make it a Site Property).

Hi Stuart,

Out of curiosity, where do you call the SetRequestTimeout?

Regards,

Daniel

Daniël Kuhlmann wrote:

Hi Stuart,

Out of curiosity, where do you call the SetRequestTimeout?

Regards,

Daniel

I called SetRequestTimeout at the start of the server action that was called from the client.

Ok, nice you got it working.

Yes, in the end it was just user error! ;P

Hi, Does anyone has solution for this upload timeout in react web? i tried SetRequestTimeout but it is not working.

Hi Wei,

The upload component does not appear to have any way to control the timeout. SetRequestTimeout does not work for uploads in Reactive Web Applications. If you want to upload binary content from the client to the server, the only option appears to be using a server action and modifying the Server Request Timeout parameter mentioned above.

The reason I was asking this question is I was updating the File Pond upload forge component to support Reactive Web Applications.  It will handle larger files, it is still limited, but it does extend the SetRequestTimeout to a longer value.  It is available now, feel free to give it a try: 

https://www.outsystems.com/forge/component-overview/7405/reactfilepondupload

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Stuart

Stuart Harris wrote:

Hi Wei,

The upload component does not appear to have any way to control the timeout. SetRequestTimeout does not work for uploads in Reactive Web Applications. If you want to upload binary content from the client to the server, the only option appears to be using a server action and modifying the Server Request Timeout parameter mentioned above.

The reason I was asking this question is I was updating the File Pond upload forge component to support Reactive Web Applications.  It will handle larger files, it is still limited, but it does extend the SetRequestTimeout to a longer value.  It is available now, feel free to give it a try: 

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Stuart

Thanks. Appreciate it. It seems like this timeout issue not apply to Upload component only, as long as server process more than 10 min, then it will prompt the connection error, it gave me the same error when i use button trigger some functions, i have opened another post asking for it.

Stuart Harris wrote:

Hi Wei,

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Stuart

Hello Stuart

How exactly do I go about modifying the Server Request Timeout parameter?

Many thanks

Richard

Solution

Hi Richard,

The Server Request Timeout Parameter is available as a parameter on each server action when called from a client action.

You can also set the default value at the module level, but I would advise against setting a large timeout for every server action called in a module.

The example below sends a file to the server and extends the default timeout from 10 seconds to 5 hours (18000 seconds).

Solution