Views
Comments
Solved
Progressive Web Apps - Early access now open to everyone

Hi!

With the latest release of the platform (Platform Server - 11.7.0), you’ll now be able to get early access to generate Progressive Web Applications (PWAs) in OutSystems.

Here are some of the now available perks:

• Distribute as PWA with a single toggle

• Extensibility and customization with no limits

• 100% compliance with Google’s Lighthouse

This early access feature needs to be enabled in LifeTime. And from then on, all you need to do is to have your mobile app to be distributed as a PWA directly inside Service Studio. Access the application with your browser, and add it to your home screen, similar to the experience of a native app.

Learn more about this feature by checking out the Early Access - Distribute as a progressive web app (PWA) page. 

We encourage you to try it out and give us your feedback. 

Enjoy it!

mvp_badge
MVP
Solution

Hi Roy,

As Leandro says, this is currently not possible without a LifeTime installation. You can read more about this here.

Regards,

Nordin

mvp_badge
MVP

Wow, this is really going to be a big hit in OutSystems. I am surely going to try it.

Thank you for your sharing Vitor. :)

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi Vitor,

By when this update will be available for Outsystems Cloud. I have checked on my personal as well as partner environment but it is showing environment up to date.

Staff

Nikhil Gaur wrote:

Hi Vitor,

By when this update will be available for Outsystems Cloud. I have checked on my personal as well as partner environment but it is showing environment up to date.

Hi, 

We are currently preparing the Personal Environments (PEs) update which should begin next week. Also from next week, you should be able to self-update your PE. New PEs created after next week will automatically have the newer released versions. 

Partner environments follow different update schedules, so we recommend using PEs (when available) or other environments to try out these features. 

On-premises and OutSystems Cloud environments can already be updated today. 

Thank you for your patience.

Vitor Teixeira wrote:

Nikhil Gaur wrote:

Hi Vitor,

Hi, 

We are currently preparing the Personal Environments (PEs) update which should begin next week. Also from next week, you should be able to self-update your PE. New PEs created after next week will automatically have the newer released versions. 

Partner environments follow different update schedules, so we recommend using PEs (when available) or other environments to try out these features. 

Hi Vitor, is there a specific day next week that we can self-update our PE from? 

Thanks

Staff

Sam Long wrote:

Vitor Teixeira wrote:

Nikhil Gaur wrote:

Hi Vitor,

Hi, 

Hi Vitor, is there a specific day next week that we can self-update our PE from? 

Thanks

Hi Sam,

We are hoping to have them ready to be updated by the end of next week, but there's no specific day I can share right now. Please refer to our documentation on how to check and upgrade personal environments for more details about this procedure.

Meanwhile, feel free to share with us any use cases you might have regarding PWAs.

Thank you again for your patience.

mvp_badge
MVP

Vitor Teixeira wrote:

Nikhil Gaur wrote:

Hi Vitor,

Hi, 

Thanks VItor for the update. Looking forward to try the feature once available on PE.

mvp_badge
MVP

Thanks for the information.

mvp_badge
MVP

Awesome, cannot wait to try it out!

mvp_badge
MVP

This is “progressive” news Vitor! Keep ’m coming OutSystems!

Progressive makes and leads Outsystems into progressive way of development across domains.

Any idea about Workflow builder announced during Next step event in Amsterdam

Can't wait to try it!

Would also like to know when this can be available on OutSystems cloud environment (either personal or partner).

Champion

Will we finally get access to native device features? Or will it still be using something like Cordova?

If it's still the same, I don't really get how it's any different from mobile development we had before?

Staff

Joey Moree wrote:

Will we finally get access to native device features? Or will it still be using something like Cordova?

If it's still the same, I don't really get how it's any different from mobile development we had before?

Hi Joey,

PWAs can access certain device capabilities via Web API, those include the device camera, location, and several other sensors. 

Expect an increase in Forge plugins that abstract the integration with these APIs in the near future. Meanwhile, anyone can contribute with their own on the Forge.

Can't wait to try it. Thanks for the hard work everyone ;)

Awesome :)

mvp_badge
MVP

Good news! Can't wait to try this! 

The OutSystems Cloud Demos environments for partners will be available this week too?

Regards,

Leandro.

Staff

Hi, 

Personal Environments (PEs) update rollout needed to be delayed due to unforeseen issues. The Engineering team is guaranteeing all features work great on those environments. We understand Personal Environments are the quickest way to try out new features and expect to be able to share good news next week. 

Leandro, partner environments follow different update schedules, so we recommend using PEs (when available) or other environments to try out these features.

Thank you for your patience. Looking forward to your feedback.

mvp_badge
MVP

Ok Vitor! Thank you for the update!

Thank you Vitor!

Champion

Hi Vitor! 

This looks very "promising" (pun intended :D)! Very eager to test this!

Since we are still unable to see the new features, just for the sake of curiosity, what exactly will make the toggle for "Distribute as PWA" ? Is just to generate the QR Code and "make it available" or if we don't have the toggle active, we can't share the browser URL with other people to get feedback?

Just to understand if that was some kind of impact in the way we usually share links between devs.

Cheers!

Staff

Alexandre Santos wrote:

Hi Vitor! 

This looks very "promising" (pun intended :D)! Very eager to test this!

Since we are still unable to see the new features, just for the sake of curiosity, what exactly will make the toggle for "Distribute as PWA" ? Is just to generate the QR Code and "make it available" or if we don't have the toggle active, we can't share the browser URL with other people to get feedback?

Just to understand if that was some kind of impact in the way we usually share links between devs.

Cheers!

Hi Alexandre,

Regarding the use case you mention, you will be able to keep exactly the same approach as before. However, if you enable the "Distribute as PWA" toggle on your mobile apps, users with which you share the address or scan the QR code will be able to add the app to their device's home screen and experience it just like a native app.

Going into a bit more detail, when you enable the mentioned toggle, the platform automatically builds a Web Manifest based on the application’s parameters with all the required properties. We also include a fully functional Service Worker that takes care of retrieving the application’s static resources and caching them on the user’s device, which, with local storage support, will enable you to create a fully offline PWA experience. (Please note that during early access offline support may be limited in certain devices such as those running iOS.)

Thank you!

mvp_badge
MVP

Thanks VItor for the update. Looking forward to try the PWA in OutSystems.

Thanks for the Update. 

Champion

Hi Vitor,

Thank you for the detailed explanation! 

Looking forward to having my PE upgraded :D

Thankx for the update Vitor! Looking forward to try it on PE! 

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi Vitor,

I am still waiting for this update on my personal environment. Is it yet to rollout or started already?

Staff

Nikhil Gaur wrote:

Hi Vitor,

I am still waiting for this update on my personal environment. Is it yet to rollout or started already?

Hi Nikhil,

As Daniël mentioned we had a delay on the rollout because of some security patches that needed to be tackled first. We are confident that Personals will start being upgraded next week (Feb 3 - Feb 7).

Thank you again for your patience.

mvp_badge
MVP

I have a feeling it got delayed a bit due to the global rollout of the "same site" security patch.

mvp_badge
MVP

Thanks for the update Daniel.

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi Vitor,

Thanks for the update. I am happy to wait few more days for this awesome feature.

adom anim

I know the article says it's not like Cordova, but I published a few apps like this that leverage the InApp Browser plugin and it's essentially the same thing. It loads an external site within the scope of the app.

You can do as much or as little as you want in terms of navigation wrappers, and can define a scope. I'm not sure about session sharing as mentioned but wouldn't you want the cookie jar, and session data isolated to the app instance vs shared with all of chrome?

Hi Vitor Teixeira,

We tried to convert one of our native app which uses microsoft login and other cordova plugins like location access and also native app with some manually designed pages with css but after converting it PWA and seeing it on mobile and web browsers i are coming up with some issue like :

1. On Mobile browser Issue regarding cordova plugin, unable to detect cordova plugin hence returning an error.

2. On Web browser also same issue , showing error unable to find cordova plugin and biggest problem is that the UI is not been adjusted according to web and is coming distorted. 

Can you please enlighten us how we can resolve these issue on browser and how the native features like cordova and UI which is more likely suitable for mobile device would work on web browser (big screen).

Regards ,

Nitesh Ahirwar

Thanks for update.

Champion

Hi Nitesh,

I spoke to an OutSystems employee about the same issues 2 weeks ago and they are currently in the process of creating new versions of their plugins to support both a native app as well as a PWA. Some modules should become available real soon.

As for your microsoft logon issue, If you authenticate with Azure AD you can use the Microsoft Login Connector Reactive. This works in a PWA without any issues.

Staff

Hi Nitesh,

Thank you for your feedback. Vincent is right, we are currently working on some plugins to make them run on Web browsers and standalone (PWAs).

Regarding UI. Coming from a phone app, you would need to create some CSS rules specific to larger viewports, if you would prefer elements to get different rules from what was defined for the phone viewport.  

For your case, having an existing mobile app that you don't want to start over, you could use the :not(.phone) CSS selector on the Body element. Here's an example where we are changing the color of the header when the application is not running in 'phone' viewports:

SyntaxEditor Code Snippet

body:not(.phone) .header-top{
    background-color: red;
}

For new applications, you could start a Tablet app or reuse the Layouts of a Reactive Web App, benefiting from the grid behavior and OutSystems UI helpers.

I'll PM you and Rajeev for us to discuss your use cases for plugins in more detail and discuss the feasibility of the UI solution above.

Cheers,

Vítor Teixeira

Vitor Teixeira wrote:

Hi Nitesh,

Thank you for your feedback. Vincent is right, we are currently working on some plugins to make them run on Web browsers and standalone (PWAs).

Regarding UI. Coming from a phone app, you would need to create some CSS rules specific to larger viewports, if you would prefer elements to get different rules from what was defined for the phone viewport.  

For your case, having an existing mobile app that you don't want to start over, you could use the :not(.phone) CSS selector on the Body element. Here's an example where we are changing the color of the header when the application is not running in 'phone' viewports:

SyntaxEditor Code Snippet

body:not(.phone) .header-top{
    background-color: red;
}

For new applications, you could start a Tablet app or reuse the Layouts of a Reactive Web App, benefiting from the grid behavior and OutSystems UI helpers.

I'll PM you and Rajeev for us to discuss your use cases for plugins in more detail and discuss the feasibility of the UI solution above.

Cheers,

Vítor Teixeira

Thanks Victor,

We have lot to discuss and some quite solid points that which will define our final approach weather we will proceed using PWA's for our client.

Hope we will meet soon. 

regards ,

Nitesh

Hello all,

Vitor sorry for being a pain in the ass, but you have any update about PE?

With the best regards,

Gonçalo

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi! A new version is available for update the PE!

Is it this version PWA enabled?

Regards,

Leandro.

mvp_badge
MVP

Yeah! It's enabled!

Leandro Correa wrote:

Yeah! It's enabled!

Hi Leandro,  

It's great, Thanks for the information.

Staff

Hi everyone,

As Leandro mentioned above (thank you Leandro), PWAs are available since last week on Personal Environments.

Remember that after your environment has been upgraded, you will have to turn on the early access feature in Lifetime. You'll find the Early Access Features under Options.

Details about this feature can be found on Early Access - Distribute as a progressive web app (PWA) documentation page.

We encourage you to try it out, provide your feedback, and as always, contribute as a community for its evolution.

mvp_badge
MVP

\o/

mvp_badge
MVP

PE Updated and first PWA installed on my phone. Great work OutSystems!

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi Guys! 

I created a simple application to use de Camera Plugin to take a picture and store in a Local Storage.

It worked fine in Chrome (Desktop) and in Android, but in iOS it worked just once.

Other behavior in iOS, when I resume the app and I try to take a picture, the camera opens but don't capture image, don't show the camera images a live. So, restarting de app, the camera go back works!

And now, when execute de CreateLocalGallery action I receive the message "Database has been closed"

mvp_badge
MVP

Any idea?

Staff

Leandro Correa wrote:

Any idea?

Hi Leandro,

Thanks for reporting the issues you are experiencing. I will try to reproduce your scenario and come back to you. Meanwhile, can you let us know with which iOS version did you had those issues? Please also share your OML, if possible.

Thank you,

Vítor Teixeira

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi Vitor,

iOS 13.3.1

Follow the .oml file!

Thank you,

Leandro.

PWATest.oml

Staff

Leandro Correa wrote:

Hi Vitor,

iOS 13.3.1

Follow the .oml file!

Thank you,

Leandro.

Thanks for sharing these details. We were able to reproduce the "Database has been closed" issue. The latest versions of iOS have some issues with Local Storage support. We'll provide a fix in April that will improve Local Storage support on iOS browsers. In the meantime a possible workaround is to save the image on the server, if that is possible for you.

Thank you for your support.

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi Vitor! Thank you for your quick answer!

I'm not in a project, I'm a demo team member only, so this issue don't bring me troubles in this moment.

In my presentations I like to show the newest features of the OutSystems Platform.

So, I won't show PWA in a iOS device by now! Or, maybe, do the workaround that you suggested.

Thank you!

Hello Vitor ,

We have been working on the PWA for our native "Employee" app for our customer where we were facing issue login in with microsoft and creating SSO session using IDP (on Web) and IDP_Mobile (on vative app) but after converting app to PWA , microsoft sso was not working on web browser.

In order to make it work, we spent lot of time to alter the code and made changes to existing IDP and our app to let our app login through SSO.

Currently app was able to create a SAML session in the IDP espace but when returning to app's default start page it was not able to navigate and ended up in loop. 

Since we figured out that since we were using "Getuserid()" on the pages to identify logged in user and somehow it was not able to fetch detail for the user , we sent "userid" in the external url(which is authenticated at IDP) and called system function "Login" and made user make a login with that user id and now i am able to login to the app .

Would like to ask Vitor to you that is that correct since there is not option for us in  PWA to make it happen.

Suggest 

Regards ,

Nitesh Ahirwar

Staff

Nitesh Ahirwar wrote:

Hello Vitor ,

We have been working on the PWA for our native "Employee" app for our customer where we were facing issue login in with microsoft and creating SSO session using IDP (on Web) and IDP_Mobile (on vative app) but after converting app to PWA , microsoft sso was not working on web browser.

In order to make it work, we spent lot of time to alter the code and made changes to existing IDP and our app to let our app login through SSO.

Currently app was able to create a SAML session in the IDP espace but when returning to app's default start page it was not able to navigate and ended up in loop. 

Since we figured out that since we were using "Getuserid()" on the pages to identify logged in user and somehow it was not able to fetch detail for the user , we sent "userid" in the external url(which is authenticated at IDP) and called system function "Login" and made user make a login with that user id and now i am able to login to the app .

Would like to ask Vitor to you that is that correct since there is not option for us in  PWA to make it happen.

Suggest 

Regards ,

Nitesh Ahirwar

Hi Nitesh 

We are aware of a similar issue happening with Reactive Web applications.

Are you using the IdP component from Forge or the IdP solution under the Users module? If you're using the IdP component, try to use the IdPReact component to see if it solve your problem.

Cheers,

Luís Carvalho

Hello ,

Did anyone tried to override "Manifest" file values for PWA application, which is automatically generated by Outsystems when a native app is converted to PWA .

I need to add some fields in "Manifest" file and i also tried to override with the help of this LINK but not able to change the values , its always generates the automatic Manifest file.

Please help .

Regards,

Nitesh Ahirwar

Staff

Nitesh Ahirwar wrote:

Hello ,

Did anyone tried to override "Manifest" file values for PWA application, which is automatically generated by Outsystems when a native app is converted to PWA .

I need to add some fields in "Manifest" file and i also tried to override with the help of this LINK but not able to change the values , its always generates the automatic Manifest file.

Please help .

Regards,

Nitesh Ahirwar

Hi Nitesh,

Where are you trying to apply the override? We are investigating a possible issue when trying to override via LifeTime.

Did you try overriding the manifest using Extensibility Configurations on Service Studio?  Here's an example I just successfully tested.

Let me know if this helps.

Best Regards,

Vítor Teixeira

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi there,

I have a question: I am working for a client that has a version 11 test server installed that is not connected to LifeTime. I would like to use PWA for the PoC we are doing now. Is there an option to enable PWA without LifeTime installation?

Thanks for your answer!

Roy 

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi Roy,

I guess you need the Lifetime to enable this feature, so you will need to update the lifetime first to add this poc enviroment

mvp_badge
MVP
Solution

Hi Roy,

As Leandro says, this is currently not possible without a LifeTime installation. You can read more about this here.

Regards,

Nordin

mvp_badge
MVP

Thanks for your answers!

Roy

mvp_badge
MVP

I can only mark one solution as the answer! Picked one at random, sorry Leandro!

mvp_badge
MVP

No problem Roy, I'm glad to help! :D

Hi there,

We've recently rolled out our 1st pilot PWA in production and must say PWA is just awesome!! 

However, some users encountered issues installing the PWA on mobile devices, which we gather is related to iOS/Android versions. Apart from the Early Access post, I cannot find anything on Android version compatability. It will be helpful if a list of supported browsers, as well as iOS and Andoid versions could be published, so we advise end-users and better plan the roll-out of the PWA. Thanks!

Staff

Leon Verster wrote:

Hi there,

We've recently rolled out our 1st pilot PWA in production and must say PWA is just awesome!! 

However, some users encountered issues installing the PWA on mobile devices, which we gather is related to iOS/Android versions. Apart from the Early Access post, I cannot find anything on Android version compatability. It will be helpful if a list of supported browsers, as well as iOS and Andoid versions could be published, so we advise end-users and better plan the roll-out of the PWA. Thanks!

Hi Leon,

Thanks for letting us know about rolling your PWA to production. If it is publicly available, would you mind sharing the URL with us here or via a PM?

Regarding compatible versions. During Early Access we recommend the latest stable versions of Google Chrome and iOS Safari. As for Android support, we expect that users would be able to use PWAs at least from version 5.1 onwards, as long as Chrome is updated to the latest version.

Nonetheless, depending on the Platform Server version you are currently running, some PWA functionality might be limited, such as offline support. From version 11.8.0 we improved support for PWAs running in iOS Safari and Chrome on Android. We have also made sure PWA offline support is available for iOS Safari now. Version 11.8.0 is already available for Cloud Customers and the upgrade can be scheduled with our support team.

We will be updating System Requirements for PWAs in a few days.

Please feel free to share any details on issues you or your end-users might be encountering.

Cheers,

Vítor Teixeira

Vitor Teixeira wrote:

Leon Verster wrote:

Hi there,

Hi Leon,

Thanks for letting us know about rolling your PWA to production. If it is publicly available, would you mind sharing the URL with us here or via a PM?

Regarding compatible versions. During Early Access we recommend the latest stable versions of Google Chrome and iOS Safari. As for Android support, we expect that users would be able to use PWAs at least from version 5.1 onwards, as long as Chrome is updated to the latest version.

Nonetheless, depending on the Platform Server version you are currently running, some PWA functionality might be limited, such as offline support. From version 11.8.0 we improved support for PWAs running in iOS Safari and Chrome on Android. We have also made sure PWA offline support is available for iOS Safari now. Version 11.8.0 is already available for Cloud Customers and the upgrade can be scheduled with our support team.

We will be updating System Requirements for PWAs in a few days.

Please feel free to share any details on issues you or your end-users might be encountering.

Cheers,

Vítor Teixeira

Hi Vitor, thanks so much for your quick reply! We are super excited about the possibilities with PWA's. Our customer is blown away by how quickly we managed to build an APP in only 2 weeks which is critical for their access management in aged care villages (in response to Covid-19). I will contact you seperately to discuss access to the App.

Regards, Leon

Hi,

Is PWA already GA?

I found that PWA has already been announced to be GA on Development Environment.

https://success.outsystems.com/Support/Release_Notes/11/Development_Environment#New_in_Development_Environment_11.7.12

"Progressive Web Apps (PWAs) are now generally available (GA), after a period of early access (EA). "

However, on Platform Server Release Notes, I can't find such descriptions.

Best regards,

Junji Watanabe

Staff

Junji Watanabe wrote:

Hi,

Is PWA already GA?

I found that PWA has already been announced to be GA on Development Environment.

https://success.outsystems.com/Support/Release_Notes/11/Development_Environment#New_in_Development_Environment_11.7.12

"Progressive Web Apps (PWAs) are now generally available (GA), after a period of early access (EA). "

However, on Platform Server Release Notes, I can't find such descriptions.

Best regards,

Junji Watanabe

Hi Junji,

Thank you for your interest in PWAs.

Although the PWAs mention in the release notes for Development Environment 11.7.12 was added by mistake, we are glad to let you know that PWAs General Availability (GA) should happen during the month of July, likely with the release of the next version of the Platform Server.

Stay tuned for the next releases.

Cheers,

Vítor Teixeira

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi Junji,

I only see this documentation which still mentions early access. I will try and get an answer from OutSystems.

Regards,

Daniel

Hi Vítor,

Thank you for the information.

I'm happy to hear that. I'll wait for the GA.

Best regards,

Junji Watanabe

Staff

Hello, folks. We prepared some troubleshooting guides for PWA. Let us know if you had issues with PWA and how you fixed it. We may add that as well! :) 

What is PWA? Is it the same with Reactive web?

regards

Staff

IBOX wrote:

What is PWA? Is it the same with Reactive web?

regards

PWA is a progressive web app, a type of app that can run in your computer browser, but you can also install it like any other app on you mobile device. It's usually enough to visit a website, and then the website asks if you want to install the app on your phone/tablet.

PWA in OutSystems is a way to distribute a mobile app. So, you create a PWA by creating a mobile app and then turn on the PWA. You can still create native Android/iOS builds ("real" mobile apps) and send them to Google/Apple store. PWA is more practical in a way that you don't need an app store.

Ractive Web App is the default "framework" to create moderns apps in OutSystems. Modern user interface is coupled with tools for asynchronous and parallel data fetching, and a lot of app's logic runs on the devices themselves. Mobile app, so PWA as well, share almost the same UI tools and modern approach to development. You can often reuse parts and logic across Reactive Web and Mobile Apps.  

Traditional Web Apps, however, reflect the way most of the IT industry built apps in the past. Logic runs on the server, and devices get pages just to render. These apps are robust, but not "reactive" enough for modern development requirements.

Something like this :) 

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi,

PWA stands for Progressive Web Application(s). 

Check out the following article: What Are Progressive Web Apps (PWAs)?

Here's another article that is also shared in the top post: https://www.outsystems.com/blog/posts/pwa-low-code/.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Nordin

Thanks for the links, still cannot understand. What are the differences  between (traditional, reactive) vs progressive web app?

regards

Thank you very much Sir,

Now i understand that PWA is a portable mobile application that can run either on a web browser or installed in the mobile device. What confusing me is the name, why web application if it is a mobile application - may be because it can run on the web browser?

best regards

Staff

IBOX wrote:

Thank you very much Sir,

Now i understand that PWA is a portable mobile application that can run either on a web browser or installed in the mobile device. What confusing me is the name, why web application if it is a mobile application - may be because it can run on the web browser?

best regards

You're welcome, Inbox.

PWA, "progressive web app", is a name the IT industry gave to these new apps that use features of modern browsers to work across platforms. Chrome, for example, works on desktop and mobile. PWA is HTML and some advanced JavaScript that handles requests to the server, in combination with storage features of browsers. In short, PWAs use browsers to run on mobile devices, with all the look and feel of native apps.

When it comes to names, I hope this helps:

• Mobile App - OutSystems term. It's an App that belongs to the OutsyStems Mobile runtime. Tablet App and Phone App templates that you can use from the New Application window belong to the Mobile runtime.
  • mobile app - Generic term. Any app that runs on a mobile device. It can be PWA or native, built with OutSystems or not.
  • native mobile app - Generic term. An app that you code with Android or iOS tools and then send to the stores for people to search and download to their phones. In OutSystems, a cloud service called MABS takes care of building native apps, so you don't have to do it manually. Once you create a Mobile App in OutSystems, you can distribute it as a native build or PWA.

H3tmwxi2vK.png

PWAError.PNG

TheGame wrote:

Hi guys,

I'm new to OutSystems PWA.

I get "not connected to the environment" error when I enable the PWA in our TEST environment. Our DEV works fine.

I checked the links below but still no luck - I still get the same error.

https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/11/Delivering_Mobile_Apps/Early_Access_-_Distribute_as_a_progressive_web_app_(PWA)?utm_source=ost-outsystems%20tools&utm_medium=ost-servicestudio&utm_campaign=ost-docrouter&utm_content=ost-helpid-30231&utm_term=ost-contextualhelp

https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/11/Managing_the_Applications_Lifecycle/Secure_the_Applications/Enforce_HTTPS_Security

Thanks!

I have the same issue in Service Studio on all of my environments, but there is a workaround which is to go into Service Center, find the application, click on the Distribute tab, and you can enable PWA from there instead.

Staff

Darren Meldrum wrote:

TheGame wrote:

Hi guys,

I get "not connected to the environment" error when I enable the PWA in our TEST environment. Our DEV works fine.

https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/11/Delivering_Mobile_Apps/Early_Access_-_Distribute_as_a_progressive_web_app_(PWA)?utm_source=ost-outsystems%20tools&utm_medium=ost-servicestudio&utm_campaign=ost-docrouter&utm_content=ost-helpid-30231&utm_term=ost-contextualhelp

https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/11/Managing_the_Applications_Lifecycle/Secure_the_Applications/Enforce_HTTPS_Security

Thanks!

I have the same issue in Service Studio on all of my environments, but there is a workaround which is to go into Service Center, find the application, click on the Distribute tab, and you can enable PWA from there instead.

Hello Darren Meldrum and TheGame,

I'm sorry to hear you've been having issues enabling PWA through Service Studio. This seems to be a problem, but if you have no issues going through Service Center please use that workaround for now while we investigate what the problem is.

Furthermore, if you haven't yet could you please report through Service Studio (Help -> Give Us Feedback) if you have that problem again? It would help us understand what could be going on.

We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for reaching out with the issue.

Darren Meldrum wrote:

TheGame wrote:

Hi guys,

Thanks!

Brilliant!! Thanks much @Darren it worked when enabled the PWA in Service Center. 

Not really sure if the issue in Studio related to my version:

Service Studio

Version 11.7.13

Build 22622

TheGame wrote:

Darren Meldrum wrote:

TheGame wrote:

Hi guys,

Thanks!

Brilliant!! Thanks much @Darren it worked when enabled the PWA in Service Center. 

Service Studio

Version 11.7.13

Build 22622

The issue isn’t to do with Service Studio, I’ve tried different versions and betas. It works fine when I connect to platforms hosted by Outsystems Cloud, but doesn’t work when connected to my self-hosted platforms. This suggests that there is something different in my platform setup. I suspect it is related to https / SSL settings. My self-hosted platform sits behind a reverse-proxy (app gateway) and is configured for SSL off-loading. I have an open support case for this.

Darren Meldrum wrote:

TheGame wrote:

Darren Meldrum wrote:

TheGame wrote:

Hi guys,

Thanks!

Service Studio

Version 11.7.13

Build 22622

The issue isn’t to do with Service Studio, I’ve tried different versions and betas. It works fine when I connect to platforms hosted by Outsystems Cloud, but doesn’t work when connected to my self-hosted platforms. This suggests that there is something different in my platform setup. I suspect it is related to https / SSL settings. My self-hosted platform sits behind a reverse-proxy (app gateway) and is configured for SSL off-loading. I have an open support case for this.

Ohh.. I see.. Hey Thanks again! cheers!

With the PWA feature close to being General Available, is there an update on when some of the standard plugins will be updated to support PWA? I have an app that is desperate to use the Calendar Plugin, but that doesn't seem to be compatible yet?

Is there any documentation as to what a Plugin developer needs to do to make a Plugin supported within a PWA?

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if there is any way we could skip the "Add to home screen" in PWA in iOS - Skip Step 3 and 4 from the link below.

We want to simplify the app distribution into our internal staff to use the PWA app.

Thanks!

Staff

TheGame wrote:

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if there is any way we could skip the "Add to home screen" in PWA in iOS - Skip Step 3 and 4 from the link below.

We want to simplify the app distribution into our internal staff to use the PWA app.

Thanks!

Hi,

Unfortunately, iOS does not offer a way to access the 'Add to Home Screen' action programmatically. iOS End-users of the application must go through the steps described to be able to add the app to their home screens.

Nonetheless, there are ways to promote that your application is actually a PWA and to show instructions to end-users. You can, for instance, use a prompt to tell your users they can install the PWA version of the app. For the iOS devices, try out the community-contributed plugin Prompt to Install PWA, or develop a custom solution.

A prompt to install PWA in iOS

Feel free to leave feedback and suggestions for the component above.

Regards,
Vítor Teixeira

Thanks Vítor! Yes, I did try the community-contributed plugin and it worked for me. Cheers!

Very nice, Thanks for sharing!!