Views
Comments
Solved
Internal vs External Users
Question

Greetings,

I am seeing the following link explain about the Internal Users vs External Users: https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/11/Developing_an_Application/Secure_the_Application/End-User_Management/Internal_Users_vs_External_Users

While I technically understand the difference between them, I am looking for the logical difference or purpose of differentiating them. Could you please help me understand this?

Thank you,

Akshay

mvp_badge
MVP
Solution

Hi Akshay,

This applies to the new license model that OutSystems uses for new licenses purchased after January 2020.

Suppose you make a B2C application with thousands or hundreds of thousands of users that are not employees of the company that provides the application. This would become a very expensive license which would be to extended as the user base of the app grows. 

The pricing on the license is differentiated for total named internal users and external users.

See: https://www.outsystems.com/pricing-and-editions/ FAQ: How does OutSystems define an end user?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OutSystems identifies two different types of end users:

1) Internal users - individuals employed by your organization that are registered end users of the applications you build
2) External users - individuals not employed by your organization that are registered end users of the applications you build.

Users are sold in packs of 100 for internal users, and 10,000 for external users. OutSystems pricing is ideal for consumer applications with very high numbers of external users, with a cost per external user that is 1/100th the cost an internal user.

All platform editions include 100 internal users in the base price.

We do not charge for anonymous users or developers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards,

Daniel

Champion

Thank you Daniël Kuhlmann for responding. But with the configurations, I can skip domain of the company in the End User Configuration and still make them external. Would that be a violation?

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi Akshay,

Yes I would think so. If if you do as if your internal users are external users.

It is a similar violation if you bypass OutSystems Users espace.

The number of named users has always been part of the license.

I do not know how OutSystems will validate this, that would be interesting to know.

Regards,

Daniel

Champion

Thank you Daniël Kuhlmann. I am reaching out to OutSystems Support team for this. OutSystems knew the purpose of my customer buying the license was always about the internal users using the applications in big numbers. 

Akshay, thanks for que question. I 'am also interested in Outsystems support answer to this. Please give feedback in this forum.

TIA 

Champion

Hi, just read this.

@Akshay do you have the answer from support about this ?

Thanks

Champion

Hi Toto,

This has more to do with your licensing so it is best to get answer from OutSystems about your usecase.

In general, consider this as the additional pack of users you are getting for doing testing/administration/support function on Production environment. You can configure your internal and external users through service center.

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi Akshay,

I don't agree with your remarks.

I believe End-users are registered through the Users application, NOT in Service Center.

The classification what are Internal end-users is indeed something you do in Service Center (see: https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/11/Developing_an_Application/Secure_the_Application/End_User_Management/Classify_Users_as_Internal_Users)

Additional End-users packs in production are not for test/administration/support functions on Production.

They are meant for end-users using applications build in OutSystems.

Kind regards,

Daniel

Hi Daniël,

I agree with your view on it (end-users with the same domain should not automatically count towards Internal Users) but I have not heard anything like that from OutSystems' side. If you receive more information from OutSystems in this regard, please update this discussion as I am also very interested in this topic.

mvp_badge
MVP

Well it's in your interest to register the domains that count for internal users, if you also have external users. If all your external users are not recognized as such they would count as internal, and you would quickly reach the max internal users limit.

How OutSystems this actually enforces (are users truly external users), I don't know.

Not sure if this answers your question...

Champion

Sorry gentlemen if I was not clear about the Service Center thing. I meant the configuration to identify the registered users as Internal OR External.

About the Internal Users being also the actual Production users, I agree.

Hi Akshay,

Does that mean that your discussion with OutSystems ended in a distinction between internal users using the applications on Production and internal users that assist in building/testing/etc the application(s)?

Did it make any difference in your license in the end or is everyone still labeled as an Internal User that you are paying for in packs of 100?