Use of blank vs. service modules in traditional web development

I'm taking the traditional web development course, and I'm trying to understand the nuances of the intended use of different modules. We're taught that service modules should "encapsulate core services that can be reused by multiple applications", yet in the exercises we create the OSMDB core services as a blank module. 

So my questions are: 

1. What should we be using the service module for?
  2. What should we be using the blank module for?
  3. In the course, should they have had us create the entities and data model in service module rather than a blank one?

Hi Kristi,

This question is already answered previously on the forum

https://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/41634/different-between-blank-module-and-service-module-in-mobile-app-os-11/

Regards,

Daniel

Solution

Hello Kristi.

That is a very fine question.

Service Module are very strict in the no-UI allowed (there is no Interface tab). So they can only be used for Entities and Services. No screens, emails or webblocks.

Blank is when you need a bit more but still want to start from a clean canvas. They don't have style, but can hold WebBlocks (that will inherit style from the consumer module), or custom made Email. You can even make a fully independent theme from scratch.

I never needed Blank.

Solution

Kristi Kitz wrote:

I'm taking the traditional web development course, and I'm trying to understand the nuances of the intended use of different modules. We're taught that service modules should "encapsulate core services that can be reused by multiple applications", yet in the exercises we create the OSMDB core services as a blank module. 

So my questions are: 

1. What should we be using the service module for?
  2. What should we be using the blank module for?
  3. In the course, should they have had us create the entities and data model in service module rather than a blank one?

Hi,

1. If we use service module- Service oriented architecture,if we change anything in producer and signature is same no need to publish consumer module that is one of the best benefits using this architecture as compared to RAD.

2. Blank module- like blank canvas u can draw what u want, usually to use for core layer that will help to reduce AO count.

Thanks

Hi Kristi Kitz,

Blank module allows screens.

Service module does not allow screens(no Interface tab).

Thanks