[PDF Generator Web] How to use PDFGeneratorWeb
Forge component by Reyco Seguma

I am trying to use this Forge component:

https://www.outsystems.com/forge/component-overview/7667/pdf-generator-web

However, how to use it is a complete mystery. There is a client action called 'CreatePDF' which give the error 'createPDF is not defined'. The documentation suggests to initialize the PDF as the first step, but it's not explained how to initialize it.

Does somebody have experience with using this module? Thanks!

Hi Remco,


Not sure if this would be of any help to you since I have not used that Forge Component yet but I would like to recommend one of the PDF Generators that I highly use which is Ultimate PDF.

UltimatePDF

https://www.outsystems.com/forge/component-overview/5641/ultimate-pdf

or

HTML2PDFConverter

https://www.outsystems.com/forge/component-overview/209/html2pdfconverter


Both are quite easy to use, UltimatePDF relies on a Service Call and HTML2PDF needs to be configured for every environment but still easy to setup and consume for your applications.


I am not saying that I cannot recommend that tool you are inquiring about, I will definitely give this a try and see how I can assist further as well.

Just don't want you blocked with what you are trying to develop.


Regards,

Jose Littaua


mvp_badge
MVP

Jose Roberto Littaua wrote:

Hi Remco,


Not sure if this would be of any help to you since I have not used that Forge Component yet but I would like to recommend one of the PDF Generators that I highly use which is Ultimate PDF.

UltimatePDF

https://www.outsystems.com/forge/component-overview/5641/ultimate-pdf

or

HTML2PDFConverter

https://www.outsystems.com/forge/component-overview/209/html2pdfconverter


Both are quite easy to use, UltimatePDF relies on a Service Call and HTML2PDF needs to be configured for every environment but still easy to setup and consume for your applications.


I am not saying that I cannot recommend that tool you are inquiring about, I will definitely give this a try and see how I can assist further as well.

Just don't want you blocked with what you are trying to develop.


Regards,

Jose Littaua


Hi Jose,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. The reason I did not go for UltimatePDF is because it's an on-premise server with very limited access. The use of Chromium in a temporary server folder was therefore not preferred.

I will take a look at HTML to PDF converter though, and let you know if that works.


Remco Snijders wrote:

Jose Roberto Littaua wrote:

Hi Remco,


Not sure if this would be of any help to you since I have not used that Forge Component yet but I would like to recommend one of the PDF Generators that I highly use which is Ultimate PDF.

UltimatePDF

https://www.outsystems.com/forge/component-overview/5641/ultimate-pdf

or

HTML2PDFConverter

https://www.outsystems.com/forge/component-overview/209/html2pdfconverter


Both are quite easy to use, UltimatePDF relies on a Service Call and HTML2PDF needs to be configured for every environment but still easy to setup and consume for your applications.


I am not saying that I cannot recommend that tool you are inquiring about, I will definitely give this a try and see how I can assist further as well.

Just don't want you blocked with what you are trying to develop.


Regards,

Jose Littaua


Hi Jose,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. The reason I did not go for UltimatePDF is because it's an on-premise server with very limited access. The use of Chromium in a temporary server folder was therefore not preferred.

I will take a look at HTML to PDF converter though, and let you know if that works.


Happy to help, just noticed that your question hasn't been answered. I will do my part as well and will review this component "PDF Generator Web" as I'm currently assessing other forge components too that our developers can integrate from time to time because we are looking at alternatives too for some scenarios like what you have mentioned (On-Prem and Ultimate PDF can also have issues if the environment has a vpn).

For HTML2PDF, you have to download binaries and install it, there's a step by step guide within that component and I have been using it for years and haven't failed me yet. There's some scenarios where I have to debug and install the correct binary but once you have it up and running, it will be smooth from there. Just make sure to set it up on other environments too.


Have a good one! Don't hesitate to reach out. Thank you!


Remco Snijders wrote:

I am trying to use this Forge component:

https://www.outsystems.com/forge/component-overview/7667/pdf-generator-web

However, how to use it is a complete mystery. There is a client action called 'CreatePDF' which give the error 'createPDF is not defined'. The documentation suggests to initialize the PDF as the first step, but it's not explained how to initialize it.

Does somebody have experience with using this module? Thanks!

Hi Remco,
I have just donwload the component and try it.
For solving the "createPDF is not defined", try to add these required scripts into your screen, as seen on demo application.

However, I haven't successfully create a custom page.

Hi,

1 º You have to include the scripts (from the component) in the page:

2 º Create an action like this one (with an 'textDataStruct List' and add some component actions like in the below image):

3 º Voilà! 

Hi there,

Could you please share this project or more details about it? 


Thank you

Marcos

Hi Marcos,

You can use this post as reference.
PDFGeneratorMobile and PDFGeneratorWeb Works the same way, the difference only is that mobile uses file
plugin to save the pdf to the device.

You can also see the Demo app of the component.

https://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/70533/any-demo-or-guidance-on-pdf-generator-mobile/

Thank you

Reyco

Hi Reyco 


Thank you


Hi Marcos, I have the same problem with this plugin, if you find the solution could you send me please, thanks :)

Hi Fran,

PROBLEM: PDF IS NOT GENERATED
Solution: REDIRECT TO ANOTHER PAGE INSTEAD OF CURRENT PAGE.

After running the ModifyPDF or CreatePDF, redirect the page to another page ang get the Base64 data there.

Sometimes the PDF are not generated if you redirect it on the (current screen).
Solution: Redirect it to another page and transfer the PDFGetDatalogic there.

Note: The logic should be on event: (On Ready)

INITIAL PAGE: Redirect to another page:

ANOTHER PAGE: Then Use this code on another page to get the Base64 data. (On Ready)
Note: the important client action here are
- PDFGetData (the pdf Base64 data generated)
- Base64ToBinary (Converts the Base64 data to binary)


Thanks

Community GuidelinesBe kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting.