Views
Comments
Reactive or traditional Web???
Question

Hi,

We have this (Traditional Web) app developed under OS 10, using Silk UI / London theme, that we migrated OK to OS 11..

It has never made it to production, and is currently undergoing some major design changes that led us to the conclusion that we should park this app in Dev only, and keep it as is for reference purposes for a while.  (The App disappeared from our UAT environment a month ago, when we refreshed UAT from Prod, and we consciously decided not to migrate it to UAT again, at the moment) We have already decided that we should take the opportunity to change to OutsystemsUI.

What I'm wondering now, is if we should also be creating this "New App" as a Reactive app, or a Traditional web app.  Clearly there are many advantages with going Reactive.

I'd like to learn Reactive Web development, but I don't want that to be the only reason for making the choice to go with Reactive. And I'm concerned about how long the learning curve might be..

Any words of advice would be appreciated..

Have noted the following forum article:

54333/convert-traditional-web-to-reactive-web-app

Hi Steve,

Take a look at this article and the ones in the end.

It will give you some tips about what are the main differences between the two, and the main challenges on the migration process 

Just a comment on my experience.  Was new to Outsystems and came from full stack .net development.  Learned the traditional first and started developing an app in traditional.  We switched over to reactive and most of the knowledge from traditional applies on the reactive side.  You do lose a few minor things like the preparation step, so learning how async operations occur is the main learning that we went through.  Otherwise it works well, very similar to traditional.

Hi Steve,

I strongly advise to go to Reactive...

We faced the same challenge with one application in WebTradional that need to be Refactored and we decided to move forward to Reactive:

The pros:

- Reactive Web development is a highly performant and scalable way to build apps for web and mobile.

- It boosts the development journey to build apps that run on every device. 

- By having separated server-side and client-side logic, asynchronous data fetching, and reactive client-side rendering, supported by a future-proof architecture, the overall performance of Reactive Web Apps allows improving both your development and your users' experience. 

The Cons:

-No SEO Rules available

-No Emails (we used the Web Tradional App aside with the layout of the emails)

-The first attempts to build a screen without Preparation is strange but in one month you forget the WebTradional and the Ajax Refresh.

We deployed the Reactive App to Production and become available only in 4 countries to test and see the feedback from the users. They noticed a significant performance and much better user experience and we decided to migrate all customers from the other countries.

Happy users = Happy Life :)

Cheers,

Luís