Views
Comments
Solved
Automated pipeline using Jenkins

Im researching setting up an automated pipeline using Jenkins.  However Im getting pointed towards what seem like two different approaches.   Can you advise which path I should take:

One seems to be a more direct approach:

How to automate OutSystems Deployments with Jenkins - OutSystems 

While the other uses a Python package:

GitHub - OutSystems/outsystems-pipeline: Python package and pipeline examples to accelerate the integration of OutSystems with third-party CI/CD tools

Building an OutSystems pipeline with Jenkins · OutSystems/outsystems-pipeline Wiki · GitHub

Or maybe the two methods are required?

Any advice welcome!

thanks

mvp_badge
MVP
Solution

Hi John,

Not sure if this will help, but this is a generated script obtained from the Selenium IDE, it's a small example for a login page.

testteste.py

Staff
Solution

Hi John,

Adding more context to the previous answer from @João Gomes, the first guide explains how to create a Jenkins freestyle job for automating deployments between any two OutSystems environments in your factory. This guide uses PowerShell scripts and was written for OutSystems 10. It is now deprecated.

The second guide explains how to use Jenkins pipelines to build a CI/CD pipeline for your OutSystems applications, that automates deployments end-to-end and performs additional activities like automated regression testing (using the BDD Framework) and manual approval steps. This guide uses Python scripts and works for both OutSystems 10 and 11.   

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

Cheers,

Staff

Hi John,

The 2nd approach with the python package was developed with a CI/CD practice In mind and the scripts are already prepared to trigger automatic execution of your BDDFramework-implemented tests.

If you don't know BDDFramework, it is OutSystems' current recommended tool for implementing component tests.

@Rui Mendes , @Duarte Castaño anything you can add to help?

Staff
Solution

Hi John,

Adding more context to the previous answer from @João Gomes, the first guide explains how to create a Jenkins freestyle job for automating deployments between any two OutSystems environments in your factory. This guide uses PowerShell scripts and was written for OutSystems 10. It is now deprecated.

The second guide explains how to use Jenkins pipelines to build a CI/CD pipeline for your OutSystems applications, that automates deployments end-to-end and performs additional activities like automated regression testing (using the BDD Framework) and manual approval steps. This guide uses Python scripts and works for both OutSystems 10 and 11.   

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

Cheers,

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi John,

You can also check this lesson for more detail on BDD Framework.

Hope that helps.

Thanks everyone for your help.  I have written some BDD tests and happy with how that works.  

I have been looking at the Python Script version although yet to have any success.  Although I suspect its my lack of Jenkins knowledge causing this barrier and will be asking colleagues for assistance on that.

Are there any examples I could look at that use the Python Script?

mvp_badge
MVP
Solution

Hi John,

Not sure if this will help, but this is a generated script obtained from the Selenium IDE, it's a small example for a login page.

testteste.py

Thanks.   I am interested in Selenium also.  Although I have the Jenkins working now with a couple of tweaks to the pipeline file.