Views
Comments
Solved
PWA vs Mobile App

Hi All,

I have created one mobile app and enabled it as PWA(Progressive Web App) which will act as a native app like android or ios. I just want to know what are all the limitations will be there by using PWA compare to native android mobile apps.

Thanks!

Akthar.

Solution

Hi Mohamed,

One of the main limitations you have as distributing as PWA is that it does not support Cordova-based plugins (there are many components in the Forge which are Cordova-based). So if your app uses cordova-based plugin, take into account that it won't work in PWA.

You can check here that many OutSystems-supported plugins are not available in PWA.

In this video, you have a great overview on PWA vs Mobile, including when to use one and when to use another.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
João

Hi Mohamed,

you can take a look over below link for all information related to PWA:

https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/11/Delivering_Mobile_Apps/Distribute_as_a_progressive_web_app_(PWA)

Hope it helps, Thanks :)

Solution

Hi Mohamed,

One of the main limitations you have as distributing as PWA is that it does not support Cordova-based plugins (there are many components in the Forge which are Cordova-based). So if your app uses cordova-based plugin, take into account that it won't work in PWA.

You can check here that many OutSystems-supported plugins are not available in PWA.

In this video, you have a great overview on PWA vs Mobile, including when to use one and when to use another.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
João

Hi @João Marques ,

I have a question related to what you said. When you mentioned:

One of the main limitations you have as distributing as PWA is that it does not support Cordova-based plugins (there are many components in the Forge which are Cordova-based).  

Won't a PWA support a Cordova-based plugin that supports the platform browser?