To choose Reactive or Traditional Web App as certification for a new job?
Discussion

Hello, 

I am currently exploring an option on pursuing a career to pick up again Outsystems. The last time I used Outsystems was way back in 2014 and spent the rest of my software development career on a .NET stack. 

I explored the certifications available for me since I haven't been certified ever since, and noticed Reactive and Traditional Web Developer certification. For someone coming back, and looking for a potential employer, which of the two certifications should I choose, since job ads do not explicitly say any of the two so I'm currently in a bind. 

Should I go with Reactive or Traditional? In my previous experience, I think the Traditional ones since that's Outsystems 8. 

Appreciate your help. 

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi Julius,

I would say Reactive. It's a new and more modern technology. You can think about Reactive applications as an upgrade to Traditional Web applications. The natural path is that new applications are built in Reactive, not in Traditional Web. Besides Reactive technology, unlike Traditional Web, shares the same underlying technology as Mobile applications which are more and more popular.

In any case, you may find applications / components that need to be maintained or upgraded built with Traditional Web, so my suggestion take both, with Reactive first.

You can read more about the differences between both technologies here.

Kind Regards,
João

It would be more likely that companies still have the Traditional web apps, right? I'm more leaning to Traditional but if the difference from what I have used before and Reactive apps are not much wide, is Reactive a reasonable choice?

Also, is Reactive certification a fairly new one? I haven't seen a higher level of that certification yet. 

mvp_badge
MVP

Well, it depends on how long the company has an OutSystems license / infrastructure.

If it is a new one, then you'll likely have Reactive applications and Mobile applications. An older account will have more Traditional Web applications, some Reactive and Mobile applications.

In a customer where I work with an OutSystems account for over 2 years, there are several apps live built with Traditional Web, and some others Mobile apps. Since the summer of last year, all new projects are being built with Reactive or Mobile.

In the end, I have to agree with Nuno that definitely most existing apps were built using Traditional Web but I'm more optimistic, if you will, that newer apps are already more likely to be built using Reactive rather than Traditional Web. Take also into account that Reactive code and technology can, up to some degree, be reused in Mobile applications which is a big plus for developing new apps as Reactive.

Kind Regards,
João

This is very useful. It seems I have to explore the Reactive one on the online tutorials here before I decide on taking a certification. Thank you João 

mvp_badge
MVP

Hello.

Welcome back.
Yes, Tradicional is what you used before, and even if not, it is closer to normal programming.
Reactive is the future, but a distant future. Most companies are still using Traditional.
If you are more comfortable with Traditional, go for it.

Do you think companies would appreciate more the Traditional one over Reactive, considering that Reactive is the distant future? 

mvp_badge
MVP

A developer is a developer. In the end, it is not that different if you are already in OutSystems

Like João pointed out, Reactive is almost the same as Mobile (version 8 had no Mobile).

In terms of certification, Reactive has a wider range of options. Instead of having a Professional/Expert exam, it has specializations. You can check the news in the Learn section. Two of those exams require that you have the Associate Reactive certification.

I didn't realize this one. I should consider learning the ropes first via the Learn section and online course here and see.

Really appreciate this Nuno :) 

Community GuidelinesBe kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting.