Workaround fix to Lifetime application name bug
Discussion

Quick answer for those who just want to fix the application that is displaying and old name in Lifetime:

  1. Go to Service Center and Disable the application
  2. Check the application name in Lifetime
  3. Enable the application again

Remember that if the application is a real end-user application, it will be temporaly disabled.


Some background:

As seen in this post https://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/60472/not-visible-in-lifetime/ Lifetime sometimes does not show the current name of the application, but the old one. It is stated that Lifetime just need a “small change” to trigger a name sync, so I decided to test this with the Outsystems Charts in my PE that had a wrong (old) name:

No problem in Service Center or Service Studio:

After checking in SQL Sandbox I found the application with the old name. I was about to change the name/description and remembered the Is Active attribute. What if just changing this attribute works? Will lifetime trigger the name update? I created applications to do some testing before disabling this module.

Went to Service Center and disabled Outsystems Charts:

Waited a little and checked in Lifetime.. and the name got updated!

The warning sign is because it is now disabled. But it had no impact in applications as they were working even with Charts disabled:

And as a developer it had no impact too, as we could add/remove dependencies as well:


This workaround has one biggest advantage: you don't have to mess with internal entities and besides no components getting "customized", no full reinstalls needed.

Hope it helps those who are also annoyed by this little bug :)

Regards,

Leandro Oliveira

In multi environment just disabling and enabling the application will not work, extra steps are necessary:

  1. In the environment that has the right application name/icon/description (metadata), create a solution with all the modules of the applications to be updated
  2. Make sure the version of each application is the same on the destination environment
  3. Upload the solution in the destination environment (no need for 1 Click Publish)
  4. Check application metadata in Service Center (application icon may be cached in browser, CTRL + F5)
  5. Repeat steps 2 to 4 in each environment

After all environments are fixed:

  1. Choose an environment, preferably the first and disable applications that had wrong metadata
  2. Enable the applications again
  3. Check in Lifetime


Explanation

Apparently Lifetime up to Version 11.8.0 (Build 910), which was being used, send application metadata (name, description, icon, type) just in the first publish in that environment. Subsequent stagings just send the modules, leaving the app metadata outdated both in Service Center and Lifetime.


A solution can update those metadata because it has this info in the Manifest.xml file, but just uploading the solution in Service Center is not enough to trigger the update in Lifetime (theres no need to publish the solution and that would not update Lifetime either), making it necessary to trigger it in another way, in this case by disabling and enabling the application in one of the environments.


Uploading the .oap also update the metadata in Service Center, but it takes more time because you can't just upload, the application is published again.

Community GuidelinesBe kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting.