[FilePondUpload] Empty binary on 400mb file upload
Question
Forge component by Stuart Harris

Hi,

I am trying to upload a 400MB file with FilePond on my application and the filecontent is returning empty.

I already changed the factory configuration to allow bigger file uploads as explained on :

https://success.outsystems.com/Support/Enterprise_Customers/Maintenance_and_Operations/Altering_file_upload_limits_in_OutSystems_apps

Hi Lucas,

I would like to help, but I will need a few more details.  Apologies for the barrage of questions!

Do smaller files work ok? Of the same file type? What is the file type you are uploading?

Are you following the sample setup?  Could you paste an image of your code?

What are your configuration settings?

How long does it take for the upload to occur? or to fail, is it exactly 1 minute?

Are there any errors that appear on screen or in the logs? If so what are they?

Is a record created in the temporary upload table with zero bytes?

After modifying the upload size, have you republished or applied factor settings?  What was the upload size you specified?

I hope I can help you make this work.  I am aware of others who have uploaded larger files.

Kind regards,

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

1)Do smaller files work ok? Of the same file type? What is the file type you are uploading?

A: We are uploading .pdf files and we got up to 250MB files working fine. 

2)Are you following the sample setup?  Could you paste an image of your code?

A: We made some customizations on our code, but we are getting the same problem with original code.

We could try to make a simplified version to share with you.

3)What are your configuration settings?

4)How long does it take for the upload to occur? or to fail, is it exactly 1 minute?

A: It takes around 4 seconds to ‘upload’, which is faster than a 2MB file. The widget acts as it was a sucessful upload

5)Are there any errors that appear on screen or in the logs? If so what are they?

A:There is no errors, the logs are the same of a succesful upload.

6)Is a record created in the temporary upload table with zero bytes?

A: We customized this action to upload the file to Amazon S3. During the debugging we can see that the binary is empty.

7)After modifying the upload size, have you republished or applied factor settings?  What was the upload size you specified?

A:Yes the factory configurations are applied. We set maxAllowedContentLength="524288000" 

Thanks Lucas,

That really helps.

It appears there may be a hardcoded limit for the HTML API FileReader in Chrome.  I can't seem to find explicity mention of this, but have seen mentions in stack overflow.  I am using the FileReader to send the file as it was not possible to received a POST request in OutSystems Reactive applications.  Unfortunately when the limit is hit, all it does is return null.

Are there file size limitations when using javascript FileReader API? - Stack Overflow

However, you may be able to send a POST file upload to AWS, which should relax the browser limitations.

Example: Browser-Based Upload using HTTP POST (Using AWS Signature Version 4) - Amazon Simple Storage Service

Also, I'm not sure what control you have over users who are uploading these files, but Firefox may give better results.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

That problem can be reproduced easily, just make a new application and add ReactFilePond to it:

Debug ReactFilePond and we see that it works for 10mb:

But for 400mb it gets a zero size file:

Like Lucas said, works fine until somewhere around 250mb, bigger than that everything comes empty.

Community GuidelinesBe kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting.