capture login attempts irrespective of device
Application Type
Mobile, Reactive

I want to capture login attempts irrespective of device and after 3 failure attempts user should login along with captcha.

How can I achieve it.

mvp_badge
MVP
Solution

Hello Vrushali,

When you mention capturing login attempts across devices, what do you mean? Could you walk us through a use case or an example of the feature you're thinking of?

The Users module has an Entity that stores login attempts (LoginAttempt), but it is not set to Public, and there's no clean way of accessing the data stored there that I can recall, barring creating and consuming a View with an Extension, or some very creative SQL. 

Regardless of device, I believe any failed logins will be stored there and associated with a specific User - if you detect 3 failed attempts within that Entity, you could then display a captcha in your pages.

There is info about counting and take the login attempts. But as you said is there's no clean way of accessing it.

https://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/33571/how-to-know-user-login-failure-counter/

mvp_badge
MVP

Thank you Márcio, this is very good info - I was unaware Miguel had added it to the Extended Metamodel extension. I think this would be the smoothest way to access it then.

mvp_badge
MVP

Hello Vrushali,

I've gone ahead and marked this as the solution - I think the LoginAttempt Entity will be the best way to achieve your requirement. Let us know if you managed to solve this or if you need any help.

Hi @Vrushali Punekar, I think you can have for example a session/client variable that will increase in case of failure. If that session/client variable is >=3, you show the captcha, and in the next action, you should validate if the session/client variable is also >= to check the captcha value.

mvp_badge
MVP
Solution

Hello Vrushali,

When you mention capturing login attempts across devices, what do you mean? Could you walk us through a use case or an example of the feature you're thinking of?

The Users module has an Entity that stores login attempts (LoginAttempt), but it is not set to Public, and there's no clean way of accessing the data stored there that I can recall, barring creating and consuming a View with an Extension, or some very creative SQL. 

Regardless of device, I believe any failed logins will be stored there and associated with a specific User - if you detect 3 failed attempts within that Entity, you could then display a captcha in your pages.

There is info about counting and take the login attempts. But as you said is there's no clean way of accessing it.

https://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/33571/how-to-know-user-login-failure-counter/

mvp_badge
MVP

Thank you Márcio, this is very good info - I was unaware Miguel had added it to the Extended Metamodel extension. I think this would be the smoothest way to access it then.

mvp_badge
MVP

Hello Vrushali,

I've gone ahead and marked this as the solution - I think the LoginAttempt Entity will be the best way to achieve your requirement. Let us know if you managed to solve this or if you need any help.

Community GuidelinesBe kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting.