Licensing for the Community Edition

Licensing for the Community Edition

Hello everyone,

I am running the community edition in a virtual machine to learn the Agile Platform. Now seems I expired my 30 days trial. I am still not sure how the licensing logic of OutSystems works for the Community Edition.
1- Download the FREE community edition and start working
2- 30 days after the licensing of the FREE community edition expires
3- We should contact OutSystems to obtain a license for the FREE Community Edition.

My questions (specially for OutSystems)
1- Why the need for this convoluted licensing scheme for a declared FREE SKU of the product
2- I thankfully request the link (or the procedure) to obtain the LIC file for the Community Edition
Hi,

I think their licensing system is very straight forwards and like most things with the Outsystems crew, is very logical. I would not describe the licensing system for the eval convoluted as the eval lets you get a taste for the whole product and the community licence limits the units and some other features.

The community licence is easily available from the download page.

http://www.outsystems.com/download/full/

(check the right side of the screen)

From memory its automatic, so shortly after the request you'll get your community licence. 

Cheers
Thank you Mark. I respectfully disagree with your opnion about the current licensing of CE being straight forwards. If you think of a new comer to AP who wants to test the technology, seeing that CE is FREE would not intuitively suggest obtaining a license after 30 days !!
Still the OS community is very helpful in quickly resolving such issues as you have desmonstrated :)
Hi,

Please request the Community Edition license here: http://www.outsystems.com/community-edition-request/

It is an automatic process, you'll receive the license just after.

Kind regards,
I have obtained the license file from the link provided earlier by Mark. I upload the license in Service Center and all is well (I get the successful message in Service Center and I can publish my application). When I restart my machine and then open Service Studio, I again get the license expired message. Strange thing is that I again can upload the same licence file in Service Center and again all is well.
The behavior is consistant. Each time I restart the machine (its a VMWARE VM for learning AP), I need to install the same license file in Service Center to be able to publish my application. Why is this happening ?
Hi Shraim. 

I believe that that's an unexpected and strange behavior. Is it possible that when rebooted the machine is beeing setted with an older snapshot?
Pedro Cardoso wrote:
Hi Shraim. 

I believe that that's an unexpected and strange behavior. Is it possible that when rebooted the machine is beeing setted with an older snapshot?

I had setup this VM myself and I checked... It doesnot have any snapshot setup. Anytime I restart the VM its just windows 7 PROF restarting. Its getting somewhat frustrating dealing with this strange. I hope there is a way to fix this...
It is endeed very strange... I've never seen such behavior. 

When you upload the licence it gets saved to the database. Is the database in the same machine?

Yes The database is on the same machine. Before uploading the license file, Service Studio gives a license error if I try to publish my application. When I upload the license file in Service Center, I get the green success message that the license has been uploaded. Following that I can publish my application normally.

When I restart my machine, I am back in square one with the license error in Service Studio !!! 
Shraim wrote:

Yes The database is on the same machine. Before uploading the license file, Service Studio gives a license error if I try to publish my application. When I upload the license file in Service Center, I get the green success message that the license has been uploaded. Following that I can publish my application normally.

When I restart my machine, I am back in square one with the license error in Service Studio !!! 

Hi Shraim,

I think it might be possible that because of the VM configuration you have, your OutSystems services don't start properly. Uploading the license again would solve that issue, I'm guessing. 

Next time you restart, can you check that your OutSystems Services (especially your Deployment Controller) are all running smoothly? Check that the actual service is running and also check the corresponding Service Center page under Administration > Environment Health. This post might be useful and Windows Event viewer might also be a good bet. 
The image shows how Environment Health is not supported in the Service Center for CE. Also the second image capture shows the windows services for OutSystems all running.The third image shows a successful upload of the license file.
The new symptom now is that after loading the license file, I still get Service Studio showing license error (last image)

Sorry I was hit by a "Sunday evening syndrome" - of course you don't have access to the Environment Health tab in CE.

This might actually end up being a case for our great Support team. Can you please contact support@outsystems.com and reference this post as a description of your issue? They will most likely ask you for some additional info to troubleshoot what might be happening in your case.
Thank you Goncalo. I have written to the support as you suggested and hope they can help. Just a quick update to the current status:
1- uninstalled the CE and also deleted the two OS SQL databases
2- re-downloaded CE
3- re-installed CE
4- uploaded the license file in Service Center (attached image)
5- I started Service Studio and still face the same license error !!

Hello Shraim

Following your request to Support I have sent you a tool to fix the problem.

Please let us know if it fixes it.

Cheers,
Acácio
Hello all

I have posted the solution to this problem publicly here.

Cheers,
Acácio
Hello,

I have used the link  http://www.outsystems.com/community-edition-request/ to obtain a community edition license, but when i insert the platform version 9.0.1.15 i get a license for platform 8.0.

Is there any chance to get the community edition license for OutSystems platform 9?

Thanks.
Nuno Guedes
Support for the community edition was terminated with version 8.  The personal edition in the Outsystems cloud is the replacement and removes most of the limitations of the community edition.  To get your own personal edition, go here - http://www.outsystems.com/get-started
Nuno Guedes wrote:
Hello,

I have used the link  http://www.outsystems.com/community-edition-request/ to obtain a community edition license, but when i insert the platform version 9.0.1.15 i get a license for platform 8.0.

Is there any chance to get the community edition license for OutSystems platform 9?

Thanks.
Nuno Guedes
 Hi Nuno.

There is no Community Edition 9, that's why you get a license for v8.
The last Community Edition version available is 8.0.0.16:
http://www.outsystems.com/goto/Download-CommunityEdition-Installer

This is version 8.0.0, not 8.0.1, so you don't have London Template in OutSystems CE.

Hi Carlos, I am aware now that are no ce licenses for 9, however i was able to request a license for a platform server 8.0.1 using the link i mention last post and everything worked fine. So i think ce licenses extend to 8.0.1 as well if installed manually. Cheers, Nuno Guedes.
Hi Nuno

You are right, you can license Platform 8.0.1, but you must install it "manually" since there isn't a CE installer for 8.0.1.
For version 9.0.1 you must create a Personal Environment, but it's not the same thing :/

Personally I would like to see the return of the CE edition :) And for OutSystems it would be much more cheaper :P
Hello,

For my 2 cents worth:

I was a CE user since V6. We ended up buying an enterprise licence for V8. Was very upset when the stopped the CE for our own installations. 

Simply put if I had encountered OS in V9, I probably would not be a user now due to the inability for me to interface back to my legacy systems (i.e. DB's) to easily run up my POC's to justify the purchase of OS for the business.

Amazing product overall but IMHO bad call on knifing of the CE of the version.

And I am yet to comment on the Silk responsive framework taking up SU’s! :)

Ciao, Mark