Outsystems UI Automated testing

Good afternoon all, my company is starting the DevOps journey and I have been looking into ways to implement automated testing for our Outsystems applications.   We currently have an old version of Unified Functional Testing but I'm not a fan, I was wondering what others are using for automated UI testing and if you like your solution?

I looked at the bdd framework but I don’t think it fits our need.    It looks to be more of a way to test server actions rather than UI flow.   Am I missing something here?

That is correct. For UI testing there are not really OutSystems solutions.

As OutSystems generates websites, there are plenty of tools available which you can use to do the UI test automation like Tosca, Leapwork, etc. They all work fine for test automation of OutSytems Web applications.

Regards,

Daniel

Thanks, I had looked at Tosca a bit but I was hoping to start a dialogue with folks that are currently doing continuous testing to see if anyone had any tips or software that we should really avoid.

As I mentioned, we currently use Unified Functional Testing and I find that it's a real headache to use and maintain.

Josh Herron wrote:

Thanks, I had looked at Tosca a bit but I was hoping to start a dialogue with folks that are currently doing continuous testing to see if anyone had any tips or software that we should really avoid.

As I mentioned, we currently use Unified Functional Testing and I find that it's a real headache to use and maintain.

Hi Josh,

I am using Tosca for OutSystems applications for a few years now and it works like a charm to be honest. Strong points here are the capabilities to integrate Test Data Management, combine UI and API tests, and the possibilities to connect with CI/CD pipelines, nightly runs, etc.

Tosca in particular is very strong in maintainability because it uses a Model Based Architecture. Allowing you to re-use test objects and maintain them in one template/ module for example. When a particular object or service changes, Tosca will then change all referenced objects for you in one go.

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for.   Often you read software descriptions and they say it's capable of certain things, but to accomplish those things is a huge hassle.   Sounds like this is probably the way to go, I will bubble this up to our QC team so they can make sure they add it on the list of possibilities.

No problem. If you have any specific questions, let me know.

There is also an accelerator for OutSystems available on their Marketplace: https://www.tricentis.com/marketplace/valori-accelerator-for-outsystems/

Josh Herron wrote:

Good afternoon all, my company is starting the DevOps journey and I have been looking into ways to implement automated testing for our Outsystems applications.   We currently have an old version of Unified Functional Testing but I'm not a fan, I was wondering what others are using for automated UI testing and if you like your solution?

Hey Josh,

Take also a look at Ghost Inspector. It's pretty easy to use and you can integrate it in the TestFramework (https://www.outsystems.com/forge/component-overview/2464/test-framework)

Cheers,

Rui Miguel Gamas

Excellent, I will add that to the list of possibilities as well.   Thank you!