What's new in 8.0.1

What's new in 8.0.1

Hi all,

With the personal environment we're also releasing version 8.0.1 (which will be released for enterprise customers very soon).

If you are already an OutSystems user and want to take a peek in the new features, just try the new personal environment, and don't forget to check out our upgrade recommendations.

So what can you expect in 8.0.1? Several new features, actually. Today we'll talk about how to create responsive web applications to target multiple devices, like desktops, smartphones or tablets.

Feel free to share your thoughts about this.

Cheers,
Tiago Simões

PS: Remember to stay tuned, as we'll talk about more new features in the coming days. 

This is fantastic! Even though the desktop version of pages shows ok on my iPhone this is a great feature. Can I assume that the top frame with icons for different devices does not appear on production environments?
Curt

You can create a action and check if your app is running in development enviroment or running in production enviroment, then show or hide the top menu as required.

I know I can do that, I'm using the Environment Sticker component already, but I expected that to be automatic. The real answer is that the URL is just a preview screen not the URL of your actual application so no user would ever see it. Wasn't obvious until I looked closer.
Hi Curt,

Yes, as you've found out the preview header is a different eSpace, it is not included in your application. This will only show when you do an "Open In Browser" in Service Studio and you have a device selected in the web editor toolbar.

Cheers,
Tiago Simões
Hi all,

With 8.0.1 we're including, by default, a new theme called London in all new applications. This theme is not only responsive, but it also has a more modern look and was optimized for touch devices. And it comes with a awesome icon font. Check it out on the video bellow:

What do you think about it? Will you be using it for your projects?

Cheers,
Tiago Simões
How can older Outsystems apps be upgraded to use the new responsive theme and fancy icons?
Hi Gerry,

Be aware that version 8.0.1 is not compatible with 8.0.0. Once you upgrade you won't be able to downgrade to use in servers with the previous version. 

This being said, once you upgrade your server to 8.0.1 (we'll have a release in February) you'll be able to upgrade your applications to the new theme by changing the base theme of your applications from Chicago to London and replacing Layout_Normal that is used in all your screens by Layout_London that is included in RichWidgets. You will then need to create a Header web block and drag it to all screens, and do the same thing for the existing Footer web block.

This all assuming that you are using the Chicago theme with no css customizations.

As for using the icons you'll be able to use them by simply adding a reference to the Icon web block on the RichWidgets eSpace.

Hope this has answered your question. Let me know if you need any further clarification.

Cheers,
Tiago Simões
Hi,

I am trying the new PaaS and created a test mobile app. I was using the Layout_London mobile theme and it was ok, but now when I'm publishing, the platform asks me to update the Richwidgets references and the theme is no longer available. Also, the dropdown menu widget and other common widget are missing.

Is this normal?

Thanks.
Hi Hugo,

If you are using Service Studio 8.0.1.5 connected to a personal environment, with the default version of richwidgets, that shouldn't be happening. Can you record a video with jing and send it to success@outsystems.com so we can take a look into it.

Thanks,
Tiago Simões
Hi Tiago, 

Yes, I'm using Service Studio 8.0.1.5 connected to a personal enviroment.

I don't know why but I have 3 versions of Richwidgets eSpace. I republished the first version, but now the eSpace is broken.

I'll try to record the video and send it to the email address you mentioned. 

Thanks,
Hugo
@Tiago

1) By default personal outsystems cloud is built for .NET developers.

In the future, will outsystems launch a Outsystems cloud for JAVA developers?

2) New responsive design - Richwidget: Does TAB, popup, and page popropriation work on a mobile device?
Hi Robert,

Answering your questions:

1) We have no plans to support Java on personal edition in the near future. Of course this might change (as everyting eventually does). We are offering Java as a part of our enterprise cloud subscription.

2) Tabs and popups work on mobile devices (for tabs you might need to tweak the styles a bit, if you need a lot of tabs). What do you mean by page popropriation?

Cheers,
Tiago Simões
@Tiago

I meant "Page propagation" (RichWidget/List_Navigation)

There is an enterprise cloud subscription?
Hi Robert,

Yes, List_Navigation works correctly on mobiles.

Regarding OutSystems Platform - Enterprise Cloud you can check out this technical note. For additional information, such as pricing, you should contact your Account Manager, or use the website's Contact Form.

Cheers,
Tiago Simões
Hi all,

There is a lot more to know about the new London theme, and to help you out creating applications with it you can check out the video bellow and the online documentation at http://labs.outsystems.net/londontheme/

Cheers,
Tiago Simões
@Tiago how do i remove the ipp for the espace at the link you provided .i tried outsystems.com/ipp but it didnt workI was meant to get an email of the new oml ,but i havent received any message.one more thing i am havin troubles attaching oml espace in this site.it gives doin an ajax refresh saying"processing upload"
Thanks Tmlewin,

We've fixed the download link at the footer of http://labs.outsystems.net/londontheme/. You can download it again and it should be fine.

Cheers,
Tiago Simões
Tiago, I really like what outsystems did with this new theme! It looks amazingly good.

@Tiago,Thanks it works but there is one issue,i get this warning message when i build "Web Reference Integrity

Unable to access url 'http://soldev-alpha/ThemeGenerator/GenerateTheme.asmx?wsdl' to verify if 'GenerateTheme' web reference is up-to-date.

Couldn't access resource at http://soldev-alpha/ThemeGenerator/GenerateTheme.asmx?wsdl"

Thanks,it seeems it having rouble authenticating with a remote webservice
@Robert, thanks a lot for your feedback, it's really cool to know that what we do will be usefull to the community.

@Tmlewin, that web service is only being used by the "Customize" page. If you need to use that page, you can always do it online at http://labs.outsystems.net/londontheme/Customize.aspx
Hi all,

To make themes more powerfull, they will now be able to inherith the grid and the layouts of their base theme. This will make it possible to distribute more powerfull themes on the community.

And if you just use the new London theme on your new applications, which looks pretty slick out of the box, you'll also be able to easily make it look consistent with the brand of your company or your customer. Check it out on the video bellow:

Try it out, and if you have any feedback please let us know.

Cheers,
Tiago Simões
Hi all,

The day to day of an OutSystems developer is spent making heavy changes on critical applications, over and over.

The 1-Click publish operation is a core part of this process, and one that is done dozens or hundreds of times per day.

In this version we introduced a huge increase in performance, not only in the 1-Click Publish process, but in a lot of the capabilities that rely on it’s technology.

You can expect performance improvements up to 60% in the 1-Click Publish, up to 50% publishing solutions, and up to 99% testing queries.

If you want to see these improvements in action check this video.

Note: The tests in the video were performed using similar cloud environments

Feel free to share your thoughts about this.

Cheers,
Miguel Rebelo
Hello all,

In the Service Studio, we did some usability improvements such as:
  • Improved widget selection and navigation in the web editor
  • The icon of the selected element in the properties pane (helps to quickly understand which element is being edited)
  • Improved the suggestion icons and simplified the paths
  • Assign new layout (helps understanding what is being assigned)
Check the following demo video and give us feedback:

Hope you like this,
Vasco Pessanha
Did something happened with the theme link? http://labs.outsystems.net/londontheme/ 

Best regards,
PC
Hi Pedro,

Thank you for warning us, it should be fixed now.

Cheers,
Tiago Simões
Hi all,

Did you ever wanted to make an entire area or section clickable? Do you need large and rich touch areas in your applications? Do you want to package rich and reusable blocks that your team can use as buttons or links across their applications? 

If the answer to any of these is yes, you’ll be happy to know that in this version you can include containers and web blocks inside a link widget, giving you much more freedom when composing your web applications.

The use cases are so broad and powerfull that we wanted to make sure this new “minor improvement” didn’t get unnoticed.

Cheers,
Tiago Simões
Tiago -

THANK YOU! We have a lot of places where we've hooked a jQuery .click() to something to then do a click() on a hidden link/button, this will be much nicer to use. :)

J.Ja
Is there any update on when 8.0.1 will be released? We are working on a project and would love to move it to 8.0.1 as soon as possible. Enterprise Edition?
Hi Andrew,

We do not publicly disclose release dates, there are lots of things that can go wrong, and we like to keep our word. This being said, the process is in the final stages, so there will be news about this soon ;).

Cheers,
Tiago Simões
What's the purpose for the London eSpace available for download here http://labs.outsystems.net/londontheme/?

I can't use it on 8.0.0 because it was saved with 8.0.1, and on personal environments it's already included in RichWidgets...

Like Andrew I'm starting a new Enterprise project and I would like to use London Theme from the start, but can't wait for the end of the month for the final version of platform 8.0.1. Since I can't use the theme in the labs link, my only option is to use the components in the OrderManagement Demo Kit? Or is there any beta for the Enterprise Edition that we could use and at the same time help OutSystems reporting any potencial problems?

Hi Carlos,

The London eSpace available at http://labs.outsystems.net/londontheme/ is there to explain how to use the theme in 8.0.1 and also to share some patterns that can be used in applications.

Regarding using it in an enterprise project, yes, if you can't wait just a few more days (it's almost ready), you have the option to use the components of the Order Management Demo Kit.

Cheers,
Tiago Simões
Hi all,

Another big change under the hood of Service Studio is on the technology used to render web pages. The web editor now supports CSS3 and media queries, is faster, and is much more consistent with mobile devices. Check it out on the video bellow:

If you have any questions or feedback about this please let us know.

Cheers,
Tiago Simoes  
Hi all,

Because today is Friday, it may be worth to mention that version 8.0.1 will be the first one that comes with free beer!

And you'll be happy to know that the release is just, just, just around the corner...

Cheers,
Tiago Simões
Hi,

Is recommended to upgrade to Platform Server 8.0.1.7,  I checked that is already available for download.

Thanks,
Pedro Coelho
Is it possible to create a new layout based on Layout_London?

I would like to have a new layout with one more placeholder.
Hi Carlos,

You can overrride the LondonTheme and use you own web block as the default layout of your screens. You can define that in your local theme.

In your custom layout web block, you can start by placing the actual Layout_London and, for each of the existing placeholders, put new ones respecting the names (Scaffolding - old Intelliwarp - will try to look for those names to place the elements inside of them). In the end, add your additonal placeholder and everything should work correcty. 

This way you still use the London_Layout, which means that future fixes to that layout will be applied to your custom one.
Is it possible to use stacked icons like these:

Hi Matthias,

Here's how you can do it, but it requires some advanced features as it is not supported by the icon widget.

Add a container to your screen and on the style give it the following classes: fa-stack fa-lg
Now, add two expressions inside your containers with both expressions' values set to an emplty string: ""
To have a nice preview inside the development studio, just put a space on the Example property

In the style of the first expression use: fa fa-square fa-stack-2x
And for the style of the second one use: fa fa-twitter fa-stack-1x

At this point you will end up having just a (black) square, because your icon is the same color as the background, so, in the extended properties of the second expression, add a stype property with the "color: white" value.
Thank you! it works

Marco Costa wrote:
Hi Matthias,

Here's how you can do it, but it requires some advanced features as it is not supported by the icon widget.

Add a container to your screen and on the style give it the following classes: fa-stack fa-lg
Now, add two expressions inside your containers with both expressions' values set to an emplty string: ""
To have a nice preview inside the development studio, just put a space on the Example property

In the style of the first expression use: fa fa-square fa-stack-2x
And for the style of the second one use: fa fa-twitter fa-stack-1x

At this point you will end up having just a (black) square, because your icon is the same color as the background, so, in the extended properties of the second expression, add a stype property with the "color: white" value.