Apps in the OAKAPPS portal include:
- Rent Adjustment Program (RAP): Helps residents report and combat rent rates that are raised unfairly by filing a case and tracking it through the case management system.
- Police Review Agency (CPRA): Replaces paper-based processes for filing complaints against law officers, uploading video documentation, and following the case through the case management system. OutSystems Partner Do iT Lean helped deliver this app.
- Planning and Building Docs: Allows contractors and developers to upload documents for review, simplifying the permitting process and reducing wait times.
- Zoning Check: Allows residents to easily check zoning in an area where they wish to open a business.
- Business Permits Check: Makes it easy for residents to find out which permits they need for a new business idea.
The OAKAPPS portal also provides all residents with access to services like public WiFi, Parks and Recreation registration, and OAK311 for reporting non-emergency issues.
Do iT Lean is a boutique services company focused on delivering mobile and web applications that give an immediate impact to your business. Do iT Lean operates in Europe, North America, Australia and Hong Kong .
Learn more about Do iT Lean
In just one year, $1 million saved and citizens better served
Results - In the first year, Oakland delivered an impressive eight apps, boosting the internal development team’s credibility and resulting in 14 new apps being added to the pipeline. Peterson estimates that by using OutSystems, the city has saved years of development time and close to $1 million, in part by bringing more projects in-house and by canceling expensive third-party subscription fees to support legacy apps.
Here are some of the other key business outcomes:
- Faster app development and deployment accelerates city’s digital transformation
- Single sign-on increases access to city services and gives the city a 360-degree view of each resident for meaningful cross-promotions
- Increased in-house development credibility from quick wins translates to more projects in the pipeline
OAKAPPS gives residents modern access to city services and greater visibility into the services their tax dollars are supporting. By making these applications readily available to residents, the city is democratizing access to its services and technology. Adoption of the online services by residents is steadily rising, with about 1,100 users in the first few months and 10% of the population expected in the near future.
"We wanted to make a real impact. By using OutSystems, we are able to make our city’s services immediately available to all residents, especially to our underserved communities. That’s transformative."
In addition to resident-facing applications, the city has also developed a number of internal solutions that streamline processes and save budget. For instance, the Police HR Management application was developed in-house, saving 75% of the initial budget allotted.
In the next 12 months, the Oakland development team plans to deliver a new crop of applications and capabilities, including Resident Relationship Management, which allows them to use analytics about each resident to market relevant city services to them. Also underway are a Housing Assistance app with OutSystems Elite Partner Truewind, which will help provide residents with affordable housing, a Volunteer Management system to help residents become more involved in the community, a Liquor Licensing app, and a special Permitting System for fire safety.