ANA streamlines materials requisition, improves business-IT-alignment in 3 weeks with OutSystems Platform
- Being the organization that manages and operates seven airports, the requisition process within ANA involved 1,400 employees nationwide, and a catalog of more than 12,000 stock items. This process had become unwieldy and inefficient; literally generating tons of paper, involving error prone processes and requiring long manual approval cycles;
- ANA wanted to automate the requisition process and streamline it for all employees over the intranet;
- The intent was to reduce the overall time to request for materials, eliminate paper, and reduce manual errors;
- Online access was required for all users to be able to create requisition orders directly from their workplaces, using intuitive tools which required little training;
- A simple approval process needed to be in place to ensure that cost center managers would approve requisitions easily, quickly, and with little overhead;
- The system had to integrate with SAP-MM which was being implemented in parallel and had to go live in only 3 weeks.
OutSystems Platform was used to create a centralized requisition management system which integrates with SAP-MM and supports the complete request-for-material process workflow:
- The system has been integrated with SAP-MM to retrieve master data and trigger the creation of material requisitions and stock reservations. Integration with SAP was achieved by an asynchronous interface that periodically access master data and a real-time interface that directly triggers actions in SAP-MM;
- Material requisitions are created by accessing the application through a standard web browser. The application’s front-end is available from within ANA's intranet portal and accessible to all employees;
- As soon as a requisition is created, an email notification is sent to the employees that are responsible for the approvals in the associated cost centers. These email contains a direct link to the online requisition application for a faster access;
- Once a requisition is approved, it becomes available to the Purchasing department for validation and, ultimately, for its creation in SAP-MM.
The integration of OutSystems Platform with SAP-MM is built with web services which can be easily reused by new applications, without additional development costs;
Only the Approver and Purchasing Controller profiles were formally trained. All other users fully mastered the application front-end without any training;
Thanks to the ease of change in OutSystems Platform, new requirements and usability suggestions from users were quickly reflected in the requisition management system. The target go-live date was achieved even when, in the last week of the project, a major change in the initial requirements forced the development team to make major architecture and design changes to the system;
Organizational information that was originally scattered is now centralized, complete and fully reusable by new applications and processes;
"This product is an amazing platform. It ensures that, as an IT organization, we stay 100% aligned with what business is trying to accomplish. Thus, in spite of unpredictable factors, we can deliver what we've promised." - Manuel Chaves Magalhães, ANA CIO
ANA’s business is divided into Aviation, Non-aviation and security activities. The Aviation business consists of the management of infrastructure for the traffic of passenger and cargo aircraft. The Non-aviation business encompasses activities such as the management of retail and advertising space, real estate, parking lots and rent-a-car facilities outside the airports. Security and PRM services, which are financed by dedicated charges, protect people and property against illicit acts and provide assistance to persons with reduced mobility.
Visit ANA website
- Time-to-market - 3 weeks;
- System is available to 1,400 users, distributed over 1,000 cost centers;
- Users create requisitions for up to 9 cost centers;
- Integration with SAP-MM reusable by other applications without additional integration efforts;
- Centralized and non-redundant data accessible to other applications;
- No training required - users started using the solution from day one;
- No paper flowing through the organization.
The system is fully integrated with SAP R/3, module MM. This integration is fully reusable by other applications without additional integration efforts.
ANA employees; Approver; Purchasing Controller.
- Fast time-to-market – Only 3 weeks available for target go-live date;
- Simple, fast and reusable integration capability, specifically for SAP;
- Support for customizable process workflows (both modeling and execution) as well as authentication and access control mechanisms;
- Flexibility and ease of change to deal with unpredictable factors.