Have you been struggling to unlock the potential of digital transformation in your company? You’re not alone. The demand for more business applications, the increase in connected devices, and higher expectations all put tremendous pressure on IT leaders. But it’s important not to rush the decision-making process when it comes time to adopt new technology.
Creating a digital transformation strategy using low-code is popular for businesses of all sizes. It allows companies to quickly build and deploy applications without needing to write code from scratch, making it easier to stay ahead in the rapidly changing digital landscape.
This blog post is a step-by-step guide for building a digital transformation strategy with low-code. In the meantime, if you’re not sure what low-code is, take a look at this complete guide to low-code development.
The Forrester Wave™: Low-Code Development Platforms For Professional Developers, Q2 2023
See why OutSystems was recognized as a leader.
Table of contents:
- Understanding digital transformation and low-code development
- Tips for building a successful digital transformation strategy with low-code
- Try a high-performance low-code platform
Understanding digital transformation and low-code development
Digital transformation is the process of using technology to modernize business operations and processes. It’s a strategic move to improve customer experiences, develop new products, and streamline internal operations.
A digital transformation strategy should start by identifying strategic business challenges and goals followed by finding the right technology for creating digital processes and solutions to address them.
The value proposition of low-code is that companies have the flexibility and agility to adapt to the ever-changing industry reality while accelerating the time-to-market of new applications and functionalities to keep up with or change markets.
Tips for building a successful digital transformation strategy with low-code
Creating a successful digital transformation strategy with low-code requires careful planning and implementation. Here are some tips on how to execute a digital transformation strategy that uses low-code technology:
1. Identify your pain points
Digital transformation begins with understanding the operations that need optimization. This crucial step will guide decision-making for selecting areas that need transformation. During this stage, you:
- Collect insights from stakeholders like your IT team, employees, customers, and partners.
- Check the status of your organization’s IT–are there outdated systems and software? Are there compatibility issues that cause bottlenecks?
- Examine your processes, procedures, and workflows and determine where automation can increase efficiency, drive productivity, and reduce manual errors.
2. Assess your existing IT infrastructure
When you understand your technology and its condition, you can pinpoint the direction of your digital transformation effort. In this step, you evaluate your current IT infrastructure as follows:
- Measure its capabilities, including the existing enterprise IT investments, the technology maturity level, and the available skills and resources.
- Determine the IT infrastructure gaps and how low-code technology can supplement your current IT infrastructure.
- Assess how a low-code platform will fit in with your current application architecture and determine its scalability and adaptability.
3. Identify the digital goals and objectives
Once you have evaluated your infrastructure, its capabilities, and where it’s fit for low-code, it’s time to:
- Identify the transformation goals and objectives with measurable metrics.
- Determine the expected outcomes and how a low-code platform will assist in achieving these objectives.
- Consider the organization’s desired timeframe and whether the low-code development process will accelerate application development and deployment compared to traditional software development.
4. Define the scope of low-code integration
Integrating low-code into your digital transformation strategy can provide many benefits. To understand the scope of your low-code integration before getting started:
- Determine critical application features and functionality that the low-code platform should support, such as customizable user interfaces, agile workflows, and real-time data analytics.
- Assess the low-code platform’s security and compliance protocols, including data logging and auditing, user authentication, and role-based access control.
5. Develop a deployment strategy
A successful deployment plan will involve several components, including training and implementation, data migration, and user feedback. To develop an efficient deployment strategy:
- Align it with your organization’s needs, resources, and timeframe.
- Determine the testing, training, and maintenance requirements of the platform.
- Identify how it will integrate with the existing enterprise IT infrastructure.
- Establish KPIs to monitor the efficiency, effectiveness, and ROI of the low-code platform after deployment.
Try a high-performance low-code platform
Executing a digital transformation strategy with low-code requires a comprehensive, step-by-step approach that integrates different aspects of an organization’s operations.
The OutSystems high-performance low-code platform is cost-effective, secure, and scalable. It enables you to implement digital transformation and achieve your growth objectives faster and more efficiently than with regular low-code.
Schedule a demo or try the free edition to discover how the OutSystems platform assists in creating an adaptable digital transformation strategy that prepares your organization for future disruptions.